Witch one?

cherrypics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to be getting a new camera in a couple of months and I can't deside between the Nikon D90 and The Canon 40D.

I would love to know what you think

The D90. 40D is last years tech, although you can of course get it much cheaper than the D90.

I have about $1500 to spend.
What I'm wondering is if the nikon has as good of pictures as the canon. I've been reading some reviews and im not sure.... I like the D90 better

Oh I opened this thread expecting to see two pictures of a witch...like a play on words. Can't say I'm not disappointed...

Both of those lenses will have more than exceptional image sensors. What you should be looking at is the "incidentals" that they come with: Button layout, software, High Iso performance, lens choices, High Def recording on the D90. Things like that. EITHER camera with good glass will produce (in theory, taking into account user ability) pictures with excellent image quality. Unless you are doing this work professionally getting either camera to produce GOOD pictures is a safe bet.

If you have 1500 to spend, I would take a look at trying to score a D90 used, and supplementing it with a couple of quality lenses: perhaps a Sigma 24-60 F/2.8 as a general walk around lens, and a used Nikon AF-D 80-200 F/2.8 (for telephoto) or a Tokina 12-24 F/4 (for wide angle).

Personally, I would see about scoring a D300 used (I've seen them as low as 1200 - which is darn close to the cost of a new D90) and the above Sigma 24-60.

On the OTHER hand, you can certainly score a 40D used for cheap and then load up on some nice pieces of glass and other accessories (Speedlite flashes, maybe a tripod of some sort).

So really, the question is, what kind of shooting did you have in mind? I know you might say "whatever tickles my fancy" - but there had to be some photograph in your mind that you wanted to take that prompted this interest in a dSLR.

What I'm wondering is if the nikon has as good of pictures as the canon. I've been reading some reviews and im not sure.... I like the D90 better

With that class of camera, last year's tech or not, it's going to come down to tradeoffs. There are certain areas that each will be better in, though you might find that the D90 has the advantage of a more recent release.

But both are extremely capable machines and any 'has as good of pictures' is going to come down the nut behind the shutter release.

Amazon has a kit the D90 with Nikons 18-105mm and 70-300mm lens for $1439 it also has 16gb card, card reader, bag and cleaning kit

I have three kids so I will be taking a lot of pictures of them, also I really want to just explore! I love taking pictures of all kinds of things.

Amazon has a kit the D90 with Nikons 18-105mm and 70-300mm lens for $1439 it also has 16gb card, card reader, bag and cleaning kit

That's not an AMAZON branded package. It's more than likely a store on Amazon - Cameta Camera or maybe Beach Photo.

The 18-105MM will be a VR lens and retails new for about 300.

The 70-300 is an OLD lens (I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it is NOT the VR version). While its not going to win any style points for sharpness and overall "quality" for a cheap telephoto it will do the trick.

I'm going to assume that the Memory Card is a Transcend 133X which sell new for abot 50 bucks or so, probably less.

The D90 is currently 880 new at Adorama.

So, basically, no. Heh. You can get the D90 new WITH the 70-300 VR lens for 1200 at Adorama, and still have enough scratch left over to pay for a fast walk around lens (the Sigma like I mentioned which is a very well rated lens).

Or get the body new at Adorama, and have about 600 or so left over to afford a couple of nice lenses (if you don't want to go the telephoto route).

You still haven't mentioned what kind of photography you are interested in.

Really I'm interested in everything, I want an all round good camera that I can explore with. I want to be able to go from pictures of my kids to wildlife or whatever. I also really like close ups of plants and flowers.

What do you think of the 18-200mm lens?

I guess what made me doubt about the Nikon is the sky pictures i have seen taken with the canon are so colorful and I just haven't seen as many pictures taken with the Nikon

I have three kids so I will be taking a lot of pictures of them, also I really want to just explore! I love taking pictures of all kinds of things.

I want to be able to go from pictures of my kids to wildlife or whatever. I also really like close ups of plants and flowers.

D90 has video feature in it, you will appreciate it, otherwise you need two mechines like me now. I have a lot of video clips of my family taken with the old camcorder on interval a bit each, and I am on the verge to buy another. I need it now while my kid is still little. She really loves to watch the clips - seeing herself growing up slowly clip by clip starting when she was a baby.

That's what I think best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back