Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by danjchau, Oct 30, 2008.
I am excited to switch to Canon from Nikon when they ship my pre ordered 5D Mark II
Not really excited over anything as I'm not in the market for anything new at the moment.
I am interested in following the success (or failure) of the following:
* Canon 5d mII (of course) most likely a success. Wondering how popular its video capabilities will be in the photography realm.
* Canon G10. Also most likely a success. I really wish Canon would make a mini-version of their EX flashes that is better suited (size wise) to the Canon G-series. Some thing like the 220EX with a swivel head.
* Leica S2. A very very bold move from a small nitch company. SLR size with MF sensor and an entire new line of lenses to support. Leica as a company... what is in store? new R10?? M9?? further upgrades for the M8/M8.2?? Leica's biggest fan and enthusiast practically owns the entire company. Imagine that? Owning a company that drives your hobby.
* Lightroom 2. Wonderful work Adobe... managed to win another customer.. ME!
* Sony.. R&D electronics giant and sensor manufacturer. All they needed was some photographic experience and leverage which was acquired from Minolta. That was a while ago now. Are they going to finally play ball with the big guys... judging from my brief encounter with the A900... they are ready. Hopefully Sony doesn't screw up the marketing.
* Pentax. Just listing them because I am a fan of pentax (I collect old K-mounts and screwmounts). They are bit slow coming into the digital SLR age. I hope they can finally step up the pace. oh PLEEEZE.. build the 645 digital!!! I can be hopeful can't I?
* Apple. Oh god.. what is wrong with them lately? Their machines have been putting a smile on my face for years. The new macbook doesn't have firewire! The new macbook pro doesn't support 8GB of memory (previous year did). The loss of the wonderful powerpc architecture. IMO, they are loosing what made them different and more effective which were good enough reasons for the premium cost. Now... I'm seriously contemplating building a FrankenMAC OS X thingy running on non-Mac hardware. The whole snafu with iPhone. Sheesh.
As I said, I am totally happy with what I have right now. If anything will get me to the cash register would be this.....
Olympus... just stole what a lot of Leica people have been hoping for in the digilux. I am game if they build it. BUILD IT! (oh yeh.. don't forget the viewfinder attachments)
The problem with this is, before the excitement is over, there is a whole new batch of electronic wizardry. In the world of electronics, new stuff only lasts a few months, if not a few weeks.
I'm excited that my many film cameras have not significantly gone down in
value recently as have my few digital cameras. :mrgreen:
I'm also excited that Kodak has a new film out (Ektar 100) that is creating
lots of good buzz. Will try to pick some up this weekend.
Just don't get excited over "new".... focus on what is "innovative". That is what excites me.
A lot of companies churn out new stuff over and over in rapid succession... but rarely is there something innovative in design. For example... 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D.... all Canon "new" in rapid succession. All great and all but it wasn't until the 5D (full frame, high quality, at less than 1series prices) that I got excited.
In the film days.. it was the Minolta 7000 with a successful in body AF got everyone excited. Very innovative at its time.
Gotta win the lottery first...
I'm excited with the hope in the drop in price of some of the older stuff making it fall into my current budget.
Well I got excited and bought some 'old' technology!
No not a film camera (sorry), I picked up both the 24-70 & 70 - 200 f/2.8 L's...
So now not only do I have to sell my kit lens, I'm putting a digital camcorder & vintage guitar (67 Vox) on the block!
Funny thing is it all started with the <$100 nifty fifty!... the sharpness I was getting with that baby prime lead me to seek quality glass with a little range.
I'm super happy with my new glass and now only hope the 300mm f/2.8 can find a way into my life :hail:... a less dreamy goal is the Tokina 11 - 16mm f/2.8
I'll keep on eye on the 5D II like a lot of folks,.. maybe pick up a used one in a few years...
I'm excited about still having a decent job that affords me some of these new toys.
Separate names with a comma.