Without depth-of-field preview button

akazoly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I don't have a depth-of-field preview button on Nikon D40X. But please explain me, the depth of field what I see in viewfinder is not the final depth of field ?

Exist a way to solve this problem ?

what you see in the viewfinder is what your eye records and the brain interperts.

the lens depth of field is the result of the fstop, focal length of the lens and the focal point.

what is the problem your wishing to solve?

frankly, IMO, the DOF preview function is not that helpful. When stopped down it is very hard to see , which in the long run is useful information

When you take a picture, your camera tells the lens to close down to the assigned f-stop. When you are composing the shot, the appature is always open. Therefore, when you are composing you will see only the shallowest DOF. The DOF preview button will close down the lens to the assigned f-stop so you will see what DOF you will get while you are composing.

If you are making your shot with the lens wide open, the preview button will not do anything, but if you are shooting at f-22 the DOF preview button will close down the lens while you compose.​

Most reactions

Back