wobbly tripod head baseplate?

nycphotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I picked up a used pistol grip head yesterday, but once I mounted it, I realized that the camera base plate is wobbly when mounted to the head.

554077.jpg

As I'm not a big tripod user, I have to ask...

I expected the base plate should fit snug, so the camera doesn't wobble, not even by a mm. So that adjusting things like focus and aperture between shots won't move the camera. No?

I'm planing to return / exchange it for a different head today, but I wanted to make sure before making that trip.

Yes, it should be snug. Maybe check that nothing is worn down, or possibly the wrong plate for that head.

Please don't tell us you bought a used tripod head from Lindsay Lohan! Wobbly...unstable...very shaky...none-to-reliable...prone to crashing into things...

You're right. what was I thinking. I'll take it back and exchange it for a Britney Spears. That should be so much more reliable.

Assuming that it's the correct plate for the base, it should not be wobbly. Cheaper brands will often be less stable than better brands & models.

But if you want a good solid rig, you'll have to pay for it. Tripod heads can easily cost several hundred dollars. Pistol grip heads are very convenient, but aren't the best design in terms of stability, especially when you tilt it over to the side as it puts the camera way outside the C.O.G. of the legs.

Look at the base plate and see if there is a groove worn in it, or that the locking lever is tight. If the photo is of the one you bought then yes it should be snug. Sometimes some people like to over tighten the levers thinking that when it snaps in it is not tight enough, this wears them out.

Is it a Manfrotto or a knock off brand? Either way I would guess that the base plate is not the one for the head you bought. The Manfrotto uses an RC2 plate. The knockoff plates tend to be a bit under sized.

I was used, manfrotto / bogen... and I didn't really care why it was wobbly, I returned it and got a ball head instead.

While I like the idea of the pistol grip, the friction was less and the leverage over cog was more, so even though the pistol grip is more convenient I went with a ball head instead.

The ball head also fits in the tripog bag (that came with it) whereas the pistol grip was too tall to fit in the bag.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back