women's beauty perception trough time

Bummer, I can't see the video now.
had no intention of watching it anyway. The women self image thing has been around for decades.

what do they want arranged marriages and covering faces like some of the religious sects?

Not knowing what your woman look like until your wedding day isn't my kind of lottery.

I don't think of whether or not I'd have sex with the person, but I do notice whether or not I find the person physically attractive. That's a split-second decision, really, but it doesn't jump to thoughts of sex until I am attracted to more than just the physical appearance.

I remember many years ago, I had a student who was really handsome - so handsome that I was a little nervous that I'd be distracted by him while teaching. Within the first week or two, however, I learned that he was a super nice guy but kinda dumb as a box of rocks, and I lost any kind of attraction to him.

The opposite happens as well. Personality, intelligence, character...all these things can make a man incredibly attractive, even if his physical appearance isn't remarkable in an objective sense.

Men do respond to visual stimuli more than other factors and more than women do, and men aren't the only ones who drive the media and the standards of beauty. Women compete with each other all the time. It's an evolutionary thing. We strive to be beautiful for men (and therefore chosen for reproduction), and we strive to be more beautiful than other women so we will be chosen instead of someone else. We do this by trying to make ourselves into what we think men want. And these days, the media is telling us what is desirable and this is our yardstick.

Of course, men DO also have other criteria for how they choose a more permanent mate, or even temporary mates. Okay, a lot of men are total sluts and will sleep with anything with a heartbeat, but others are choosier and look not only at appearance but at a woman's character.

I'd love it if everyone - men and women alike, and also media, retailers, consumers - would pay more attention to those other criteria that we all have and less time on appearance. Will it happen? Hell no. Not in any significant, widespread way. I can only control myself, and so I'll just focus on my own attitude, values, and behavior.

had no intention of watching it anyway. The women self image thing has been around for decades.

what do they want arranged marriages and covering faces like some of the religious sects?

Not knowing what your woman look like until your wedding day isn't my kind of lottery.

Who said anything about covering ourselves? How does that even become a conclusion?

Who said anything about covering ourselves? How does that even become a conclusion?
me.
To stop us men from being tempted and subdued by such beauty into the arms of evilness and impurity. :801:

The Excellent Woman
Proverbs Chapter 31 : 10

1 The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.
2 What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?
3 Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.
4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
8 Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.
9 Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.
10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

There's a lot of stuff in the Bible.

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."
(Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

What's your point?

"Of course, men DO also have other criteria for how they choose a more permanent mate, or even temporary mates"

"Of course, men DO also have other criteria for how they choose a more permanent mate, or even temporary mates"

Yeah, but how many of us can plant a vineyard and weave linen anymore ;)

Yeah, but how many of us can plant a vineyard and weave linen anymore ;)
well.

you can still find a man. But they may end up yelling at you.

As long as he realizes that I yell back.
:1219:
lol. well.
like I yelled at my wife when she dropped the ball running things for me. Beauty is only skin deep and there is a lot more to being a woman than how you wear your makeup. Dating and attractiveness in a woman, and a committed relationship with one involving responsibility. Are VERY different things. But you already alluded to this above.
Proverbs 14:1 - Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.
The LEAST of my concerns, concerning my own wife anyway. Has been how she wore her makeup and which shoes or even if she gained ten pounds Sure I still enjoy it when she dresses up but the outlook changes. The amount of responsibility a woman has in a family and the sheer effect they have is immense. They really have astounding roles whether they are working women or stay at home homemakers and their influence and effects fills the house and measures in the children.. Whatever they are, their household becomes even if the guy leads a house the womans influence in that house is seen in every corner and through the children.
A mans effect on his wife is immense, and the wife's effect on the home and children is double immense. A woman is really THAT important. Now (lifestyle depending) the biggest problem I see is women more worried about getting their nails done than feeding their children something for dinner that didn't come out of a box. But this could be a product of our current culture.

seems current culture has handed women too many hats to wear at once. some how they are supposed to stay trim and pretty, work a career, watch kids and take care of house, all at the same time. But in process note that generally women are MUCH more in tune with current culture and market drivers of it more than men are. women are generally much larger consumers of goods than men, and money drives culture.

. For what it's worth, the thought only lasts for a fleeting moment. I don't sit around and dwell on it. At least not all the time.
.....is still thinking about runnah and maria and that the first thing they think of with everyone they meet is if they would have sex with them.

I don't know about the Bible...

A few of us mentioned that "thought of doing someone" lasts just a split of a second. There are lots of researches about this subject, what is happening in all of us when we meet another person... but, I said already what I think and apparently it can be understood in different ways, which is not something I considered before I wrote what I wrote. However...

Women are much more selective than men are. As for me, I'm too selective and rarely meet a person that I'm attracted to that much that I would actually like to have sex with them. Me thinking would I "do" a person I meet have nothing to do with my behavior towards that person, or acting in that direction. I'm just simply aware of the fact that a certain person is that much attractive to me or not... in a fleeting moment- as bencountershaft mentioned.
For actually going in that direction and acting like that, there are much more criteria that a person needs to fulfill in order to make me want that for real. That's why I've never had a one night stand.

Last edited:
Men do respond to visual stimuli more than other factors and more than women do, and men aren't the only ones who drive the media and the standards of beauty. Women compete with each other all the time. It's an evolutionary thing. We strive to be beautiful for men (and therefore chosen for reproduction), and we strive to be more beautiful than other women so we will be chosen instead of someone else. We do this by trying to make ourselves into what we think men want. And these days, the media is telling us what is desirable and this is our yardstick.
I think women are superior to men... but how the hell we let this happen!?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back