Wonderful!!! Now everyone will justify working for free

It's a free market. Competition is a *****. It's too bad your clients can't tell the difference between your work and the freebie work.

You bring enough popcorn to share with others? :lol:

LOLOL Yeah!!

Boys and girls, You are your only competition. It doesn't matter how much or how little someone else charges or how good or bad their work is.

The Only thing that matters is that you work to the highest level that you can achieve and that you get out there and ask people for their business.

It really is ALL on you.

The wedding I did for $250 at the start of the year wouldn't hurt your business. That was about as much money as budgeted for the photography. If no one steps up, the money would have gone to beers for the guests.

Have you lost work/clients due to photographers starting to offering their services for free? If yes, you're marketing at the wrong folk; If no, you've nothing to worry about.

I also don't think people will start saying: "hey, after reading Davids blog I ain't going to charge anymore, free work to all! woot!"

Be glad if they do because it'll mean more work for you.

I think consumers can discern quality and value; if they couldn't there would be no need to constantly improve the appearance of movies, TV, advertising, print media, etc... The clients I'm working with are more knowledgeable about quality and value and technology than ever.

I expect business to be down this year, but I won't be blaming photographers who work for free. The blame clearly lies with the Wall Street con artists that trashed the economy, the incompetence and neglect of the executive and legislative branches that allowed it to happen, and the non-stop doom saying of the media. If people have money to spend they will purchase quality.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

There is a point in there. That and a very clear example.

The whole model thing.

But then again, you can't start out as a professional. If I've never shot a wedding before, I'm not going into my first wedding charging $2500.

Just had a thought. Location states Portland, OR, which is in the US. Perhaps if the government is asked nicely, they can send out a bailout to the rich outragously expensive snobbish "Pro" photographers and there would no longer be a problem with people working for free/cheap.

Well since I was the first respondent to this thread and I didn't get an answer from the OP to my question I will ask the group, would you all prefer a Brie or perhaps a nice Wensleydale or is there another cheese one might prefer. The other thread had otters so I thought that cheese might be nice.

Because Brothers and Sisters, I WANT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT CHEESUS.

Most reactions

Back