Wondering how this was shot

bwlergh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Came across this album cover while downloading a track off itunes. I am curious how this was shot, in particular - where the light is coming from.

Picture1.jpg

Hello in Australia,

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that there's nothing special or unusual about the lighting in this shot. It appears to be a straight shot in natural light, however there may be a very soft and gentle fill light from the front, using a soft box or a diffused camera flash.

What you may find interesting is the bright halo just behind the 'ght' in the logo. My guess is this is a dodging technique to brighten the background, to make the logo better stand out. I've done this many times in wedding and graphic layout. My assumption is that the black edges in the window were conflicting with the black text of the logo. Sometimes I dodge after the logo has been inserted by selecting the background layer (in Photoshop) and rubbing the dodge tool under the logo until the desired effect is achieved.

Hope this helps. And I'm curious to hear other theories.

Jeff
Canada

Your answer sounds right, it looks like it may have been desaturated and the slightest blur to get a pastel effect.

Shoot on a cloudy day, play with the white balance, and bump the contrast up. Your photos will look like this, sadly even when you don't want them to. :(

Thanks guys, I thought so to begin with. Just wasn't too sure.
As far as PP work, it's pretty obvious.

Most reactions

Back