Wondering if this comment bothers any of you or if I'm just a baby

nokili

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all

Haven’t Posted in a while, just been busy on another non photo related project. Anyway, I have been taking photos here and there, and learning a WHOLE lot on the way.

But enough of my babbling, does anyone ever tell you when you show them your pictures “Your camera is so nice!”

At first, it didn’t bother me…but as this person kept saying it, over and over every time we looked at any of my photos, I started to get annoyed.

This isn’t just a point and shoot, where I just take a picture of something and it’s done, most of my photos I plan how and when to take them, research about others who have taken similar ones and read, read, read. So I find it a truly back handed compliment to say “Your camera is so nice” why don't you just say what you are thinking "Anyone can take a photo like that with your camera."

I mean, I know I am being a whiny baby cry but does everyone just think that we just run around in Auto mode and pull pictures from our butts?

Sorry. I am most likely overreacting..I feel better now.

~Ash

WTD95.jpg

I understand what you are saying...
People ask me all the time, what kind of camera do you have? I love to get pictures like that....

Next time someone tells you that your camera takes nice pictures, just reply, "Yeah, I bought it at the same store Shakespeare bought his pen." Most will have to think about it for a few seconds before it registers.

they probably bought a home bigger than they could afford, a car which has poor gas mileage and expensive insurance, designer clothes at full price and the like.

they base their worth on the stuff they have.

just ignore them

Next time someone tells you that your camera takes nice pictures, just reply, "Yeah, I bought it at the same store Shakespeare bought his pen." Most will have to think about it for a few seconds before it registers.

Hhahah! Unfortunately i don't know if said person would get that...

I thought that before actually trying my hand at photography. Most people think that way. Thats how companies market products. I think it annoys everyone but you ARE kinda being a baby. :lmao:

Next time someone tells you that your camera takes nice pictures, just reply, "Yeah, I bought it at the same store Shakespeare bought his pen."

I have to say, that's pretty brilliant.

And it's like saying to a cook: "Wow those are some nice pots and pans, I bet you can make good food!"

I thought that before actually trying my hand at photography. Most people think that way. Thats how companies market products. I think it annoys everyone but you ARE kinda being a baby. :lmao:

I admit it! :D

I guess it just bothers me because I didn't think that way before getting into photography. I have a huge amount of respect for photographers, and got into it because I was truly interested in learning...but I find myself to be in the minority most of the time :)

they probably bought a home bigger than they could afford, a car which has poor gas mileage and expensive insurance, designer clothes at full price and the like.

just ignore them

Could you have hit the nail on the head any better?! Wow

just ignore them

This has nothing to do with it. You really missed the point, actually.

They think nice pictures come from nice cameras, and that it has nothing to do with the person using the camera. You see this all the time on this forum. People buy expensive cameras and wonder why their images aren't great.

That's also a pretty judgemental statement.

Hmmm...I bought a house bigger than I could afford (at the time), I have TWO cars that get poor gas mileage, insurance is expensive (for good coverage), I have no problem buying nice clothes, or fantastic meals. So sue me. :roll:

I've been there!!!
Whenever my mom sees a pic of mine she likes, her comment is invariably "your camera is better than mine".
One time she lost her camera, so I gave her my Cannon P&S and was left with my current Kodak P&S. When she saw the pictures I was taking with the Kodak, she complained she wanted to trade my Cannon for my Kodak because it was taking better pictures than the Cannon... at which point I decided to take the whole thing as a compliment. "your camera is better than mine" is her way of complimenting me.

Most reactions

Back