Wondering if this comment bothers any of you or if I'm just a baby

A camera is a tool, nothing more.

A soldier could still fight against men with firearms using nothing but a knife for example. For him to stand any chance at all he better be damn good with it though (think John Rambo lol).

The camera doesn't make the photographer, but it can sure help for them to reach their full potential.

Hey all

Haven’t Posted in a while, just been busy on another non photo related project. Anyway, I have been taking photos here and there, and learning a WHOLE lot on the way.

But enough of my babbling, does anyone ever tell you when you show them your pictures “Your camera is so nice!”

At first, it didn’t bother me…but as this person kept saying it, over and over every time we looked at any of my photos, I started to get annoyed.

This isn’t just a point and shoot, where I just take a picture of something and it’s done, most of my photos I plan how and when to take them, research about others who have taken similar ones and read, read, read. So I find it a truly back handed compliment to say “Your camera is so nice” why don't you just say what you are thinking "Anyone can take a photo like that with your camera."

I mean, I know I am being a whiny baby cry but does everyone just think that we just run around in Auto mode and pull pictures from our butts?

Sorry. I am most likely overreacting..I feel better now.

~Ash

When people talk about equipment (it happens to me) I suggest just dismissing the talk quickly. "That's a nice camera" "Thanks".

At first, it didn’t bother me…but as this person kept saying it, over and over every time we looked at any of my photos, I started to get annoyed.

We can charitably assume that this person's only real crime is ignorance. This person isn't a jerk, as some here have implied or explicitly stated - they simply made a well-intentioned comment that missed the mark only because they didn't know better. Unless there is some reason to think they should have known better, it makes no sense to get annoyed by this.

If you accept my argument so far, then the question to ponder is whether this level of ignorance is more than what we should be able to reasonably expect of the average person. No doubt this is a question on which no consensus will ever be reached here but hopefully we can agree that we're all naive when we step outside of our personal narrow areas of experience and study and that there's a lot more territory outside than inside (for all of us).

We can charitably assume that this person's only real crime is ignorance. This person isn't a jerk, as some here have implied or explicitly stated - they simply made a well-intentioned comment that missed the mark only because they didn't know better. Unless there is some reason to think they should have known better, it makes no sense to get annoyed by this.

If you accept my argument so far, then the question to ponder is whether this level of ignorance is more than what we should be able to reasonably expect of the average person. No doubt this is a question on which no consensus will ever be reached here but hopefully we can agree that we're all naive when we step outside of our personal narrow areas of experience and study and that there's a lot more territory outside than inside (for all of us).

To a guy who plays a Stradivarius, I'm sure it's no big deal...

To some people, the statement that, "you sure have a nice camera!" is meant as a compliment...just like when a guy tells a woman, "I like your shoes!", he does not mean, "I like your shoes," he means, "I like YOU!". Not everybody is good at delivering compliments, and if you can get past the outward awkwardness and inability of some people to deliver a compliment in a straightforward manner, you'll see it for what it really is--a compliment about how well you take or make photos!

To some people, the statement that, "you sure have a nice camera!" is meant as a compliment...just like when a guy tells a woman, "I like your shoes!", he does not mean, "I like your shoes," he means, "I like YOU!". Not everybody is good at delivering compliments, and if you can get past the outward awkwardness and inability of some people to deliver a compliment in a straightforward manner, you'll see it for what it really is--a compliment about how well you take or make photos!

When I show up with my 560mm Telyt-R, it draws comments.

http://olypedia.de/static/images/7/7d/Leitz_Telyt-R_560_6.8_Arsenal.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3077/2741999260_890794580b.jpg

But then again it delivers shots like this (mine):

007Far-16430284.jpg

Unless the person is frustrated about their own photo taking ability, is complaining about how they can't take good photos, and then says, "Well, you have such a nice camera."

That's the same as saying, I'm going to blame my gear for being a sh**ty photographer, and try to bring you down at the same time.

I guess context is important, huh...

Yes, showing up with big gear always draws comments...the increasing size and profile of modern,autofocus lenses has been something I have lamented over the past decades. Back in the 1980's, an 85mm f/2 lens for Nikon was about the same size as a current 50mm f/1.4 lens, since the 85/2 had a pretty strong telephoto factor. THe coming of the autofocus era has brought with it ever-larger lenses, and it's now gotten to the point where the majority of pro-level Canon and Nikon gear screams, "LOOK AT ME!! Then tense up!!!"

I have found that a lot of people who shoot digicams seem a bit,well, embarrassed by their cameras when in the presence of people with bigger, d-slr type cameras. Appearances count these days....or let's say, people put a lot of stock in appearances.

OP: Just suck it up and accept it for how it was intended, a compliment. The person obviously just simply doesn't get the distinction between a good camera and a good photographer.

I think you're being too sensitive on the wording. As others have said, it is meant as a compliment. People in all walks of life don't give too much thought in what other people's knowledge or skills are. Whether your a chef, photographer, mechanic, mason or floor polisher you may be just OK or great at what you do.

As far as equipment, unless you have achieved the level of proficiency that you can make award winning photos from a cell phone camera (half joking here), then better equipment = better photos. Most people I know have P&S cameras and they are OK with that, step it up to a SLR and at that point the person carrying the SLR probably has gained knowledge and a "want" to take better photos. See a person carrying an 8x10 camera around and they may be at a different or higher level than the SLR person. Again as was said, how many times has a person been told "buy better glass" to take better photos.

I think the best response is -Thanks!

Here's what I see in the OP...

I see someone receiving the words "you have a nice camera." I see it being reported that this happens over and over again.

Then I see the receiver of the words preceding to translate the rather simple words into greater detail (hmm... jpg to Raw conversion???) To me that just does not compute. I mean what is the point? You get worked up over something that someone may or may not have meant? Something that you most likely will not verify to be true or false. If it is that big of a deal tactfully collect more information from them.

Case in point: "That's a really nice camera!" could mean any of the following...

1) Don't turn your back on me I'll steal that bad boy first chance I get.
2) Sweet camera, if you ever upgrade will you sell it to me at a good price?
3) No seriously, that is a really nice camera.
4) I think that camera would make me take better pictures just like it does for you.
5) I'm bored with your pictures they aren't that good. Wow look something shiney!!
6) Your preview screen is much bigger then mine, wow very nice camera.
7) I have no idea what that camera is capable of, you must be very smart!

Need I go on? I could believe me... but instead the bulk of us here just hear #4 and turn into the photographer brothers in arms regime and go to it.

The minute you start the old assuming game well you know what they say...

Reading between the lines is a dangerous game and inventing lines to read between is even worse.

Artistically speaking... and as someone else once said. "Who are we photographers for if not ourselves?" Others who get the chance to share with us in what we create are just secondary beneficiaries. While it is important to see others who love and enjoy our work it is just it as important if not more so to not sell out to them.

In simpler words their opinion is not worth as much as you or they think so don't sweat it. This is based on them not paying your wage in a less then artistic manner. ;)

Do you think that I would be annoyed if this person was just not educated enough to understand the work that goes into taking shots? Unfortunately your comment is now moot by the following turn of events.

In the time since I posted this morning, said person called me, and has now (with never using a digital camera EVER, actually the only camera this person has ever used was a throw away) purchased the following gear

Nikon D90 w/ 18-105mm
75-300mm (or was it 70mm?)
SB600 flash
100 Nikon gear bag

I can admit straight to you that I am GREEN with envy because thats the 300mm lens i have been eying for months now...but it also makes me happy because I know that this person will get bored with the camera and I can pick it up for cheap and then we can have 2!

I should be happy that this person will now learn that just because you have an SLR, does not mean that every picture you take is award winning...I can't wait to say "Your camera takes nice photos"

Oh and I don't worry about this person getting on here...and posting anything...because they DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER ....is that even legal to NOT have a computer and have a DSLR??

Man...I need counseling

~and by the way, I am not saying that I am not a noob..and I think I take better photos than anyone...all I am saying is that my camera is my tool, you don't say your paint brush paints nice portraits. If you like my photos, acknowledge the fact that there is a person behind the tool~

And now you are thinking :puke::chatty:

~Rant Over~

Here's what I see in the OP...

I see someone receiving the words "you have a nice camera." I see it being reported that this happens over and over again.

Then I see the receiver of the words preceding to translate the rather simple words into greater detail (hmm... jpg to Raw conversion???) To me that just does not compute. I mean what is the point? You get worked up over something that someone may or may not have meant? Something that you most likely will not verify to be true or false. If it is that big of a deal tactfully collect more information from them.

Case in point: "That's a really nice camera!" could mean any of the following...

1) Don't turn your back on me I'll steal that bad boy first chance I get.
2) Sweet camera, if you ever upgrade will you sell it to me at a good price?
3) No seriously, that is a really nice camera.
4) I think that camera would make me take better pictures just like it does for you.
5) I'm bored with your pictures they aren't that good. Wow look something shiney!!
6) Your preview screen is much bigger then mine, wow very nice camera.
7) I have no idea what that camera is capable of, you must be very smart!

Need I go on? I could believe me... but instead the bulk of us here just hear #4 and turn into the photographer brothers in arms regime and go to it.

The minute you start the old assuming game well you know what they say...

Reading between the lines is a dangerous game and inventing lines to read between is even worse.

Artistically speaking... and as someone else once said. "Who are we photographers for if not ourselves?" Others who get the chance to share with us in what we create are just secondary beneficiaries. While it is important to see others who love and enjoy our work it is just it as important if not more so to not sell out to them.

In simpler words their opinion is not worth as much as you or they think so don't sweat it. This is based on them not paying your wage in a less then artistic manner. ;)

Unfortunately inflection is something that is not easily shown in print. There is no assuming...this person falls into the "I am better than you catergory"

But I do agree with you, really, what should I care about people who one don't know about the craft and 2 don't care about it. All of your opinions are much more important to me than anything else.

Like I said..i need counseling...this is deep seeded anger :p

Nokili,

I know many who fall into the "I am better than you catergory" they run rampant in the world across many hobbies, careers, and what have you. I suggest you do as I do and see them for what they are worth... Entertainment pure and simple. If you know they are way off mark the only sane thing to do is to be entertained by them. ;)

And above, I am not saying you should not take good information from the good people of this forum. Just saying that the final judge is you when it come to your own artistic expression. Take what you can learn from here and apply it to future works. Just don't let anything box you in.

I hear you on the note about inflection. That is why I never communicate at work via voicemail. ;) Carefully worded emails all the way. Heh heh.

Most reactions

Back