Work-Flow for B&W??

kidchill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tripcphotos.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering if someone wouldn't mind listing a quick version of the workflow to convert to B&W. I usually use the channels and try to just all the colors independently, but then I see these B&W photos that just pop, and I want that. I read somewhere about using different layers, and while I know how to use layers, I'm not sure what to do as far as B&W. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! CHRiS

I use alienskin exposure to do black and white conversions. Pick my favourite film and go for it.

But, before this...I used Lightroom preset for black and white (high/low contrast).

What programs are you using? Just photoshop?

Channel mixer works well...and lots of people on here use it.

But, if you can find the plugin alienskin exposure 2, you'll love it for black and white.

I like the Photoshop CS3 'convert to black and white' feature. It seems to work pretty well for what I want my b/w to look like. Then if necessary, I can tweak it.

I have an action called 'Wally's B&W action'. It was quite popular around the different forums for a while.
It was created by a guy named Wally...he was a member here at one time.
Google it and see what comes up.

I much prefer the channel mixer approach myself. I've used the B&W conversion in Elements 5 too, but really don't rate that too highly - it lacks a lot of subtlety for me.

I use adjustment layers. Typically levels, curve, channel mixer in that order. There is typically some didge/burn as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back