Workflow problems

FrankLamont

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One problem only, actually.

I'm using Bridge + Photoshop at the moment. Workflow is all right; not too fast, but my batch processing is just 'selecting all' in Camera Raw and then it applies the settings to all, one by one.

I've tried Lightroom, but didn't and don't like the import stuff... I end up making three copies of the same image, and organising photos is hell.

But I also have ACDsee pro 2.5. It's very similar to Bridge.

So I'm debating whether to go with Bridge or ACDsee.

Both can easily access Photoshop... everything there is fine. But there are obviously other pros and cons.

Bridge has a better raw processor in some aspects. I ran the same image (raw) through Lightroom, Bridge and ACDsee and pushed fill light and recovery to the maximum, and also pushed chroma noise reduction to the maximum. Understandably, there was quite a bit of noise from the fill light (it was a very dark image with a lit lamp in the middle). ACDsee produced the worst JPG: although the fill light, at 100, was more than the other two, there was an incredible amount of chroma noise, and the colour noise reduction did nothing that could be seen. Even at a fill light that equalled the others, the noise was still hopelessly colourful. Lightroom was almost the same as Bridge, but was fooled by the WB and the recovery was not so good as Camera Raw.

Still, both of the latter had hardly any chroma noise and what was there was easily removed.

But then again, ACDsee has so much more flexibility; editing has brushes et al, for one.

So... any thoughts?

I suggest revisiting Lightroom.

I end up making three copies of the same image, and organising photos is hell.
This tells me that you weren't using LR as it was meant to be used. Once you get your head around how it works, it's really a revolutionary workflow.

I watched a ton of tutorials and read a book or two when I first started using Lightroom, I had to really change my workflow...but I think it's much better now that it was before LR.

I agree with BigMike but won't bring that into the discussion.

I suggest before you jump to ACDSee Pro that you look at the way it handles RAW files vs the way ACR / Bridge handles them. I used ACDSee Pro in an emergency while overseas to edit my files and that's it. In my opinion the RAW colour rendering (at least for the Nikon D200) is horrid.

The problem I have with Lightroom is that you have to import the photos in before any editing can be done. When you do this, it wants to save it to another folder and then at the end, exporting results in another file. Surely, at the most, I should only have two copies?

I guess that's the problem with non destructive editing. Otherwise, I'd be jumping at Lightroom.

Garbz - which ACDsee pro version did you use? 2.5 has had, from what I can see, a major upgrade from 2.0. RAW editing is a bit dodgy, though.

I guess I'll have a look at some books on Lightroom for now. :thumbup:

You don't need to save to a different folder in lightroom. It gives you the choice to leave the file where it is and edit it from there. As for a good Lightroom book. Look up Scott Kelby, I'm reading his book on Lightroom 2 right now and it's amazingly written. I can actually stay awake and learn.

I'm using ACDSee Pro 2.5 Build 332. I never use it for editing but use it for previewing files since I need a colour managed program with my screen. (even that, the perceptual colour conversion is ... wrong ... but just a bit in the shadows).
There's just something wrong with the way it handles colours from RAW, but that could also be my specific camera.

Lightroom doesn't require you to make two copies. Only to import off a memory card. Otherwise in the import dialogue you can select not to make a copy of the file, and just import from the current location. Works with removable drives and everything.

Also all non-destructive editing programs do the same thing. I import my files into Lightroom, work on them, batch export to high quality JPEG when they are done, and then delete the RAW originals since I won't use them again. I only use the cataloguing features to simplify my editing, and not to do any sorting or storing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back