Working Lighthouse - Eastern Shore

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone know of any working lighthouse in the east coast? I'd prefer something in the 300 mile radius of washington DC.

Thanks guys. Pbelarge I saw something similar but that site didn't give any info on which ones are active. But let me check out the wiki page. Thanks!

Yes, check the wiki page - its actually very relevant to your interests because under the header for each State, there should be a link to the USCG site. In there, you will find a listing for every lighthouse and it should note its current status, which is what you're looking for :thumbup:

I plan on doing some lighthouse shots around the MD area as well - its on my "photo op locations/ideas" word doc I started a few months ago.

Come to Maine, I'm about a 5 minute drive from one right now. And there's more scattered all around the coastline.

SecondShot I live near DC so perhaps we'll get together one day and make something happen.

O hey tyler: I thought about Maine. Last time I went there was probably in 1999 or 2000. Lets see how things go, working on a trip to Niagara falls again for some photoshoot there and may end up going to Montreal the day after and heading back. (Sleep in car haha) If time, may stop by Maine.

Come to Maine, I'm about a 5 minute drive from one right now. And there's more scattered all around the coastline.

I just got back from Maine Saturday.
I bought a map of lighthouses and it lists active and inactive lighthouses.
If I counted right there are 51 active lighthouses on the coast, not all are accessible to the public.
That's a little farther than 300 mile from Washington though.

A little closer you could try Cape Cod, there's also the Barnigate lighthouse in NJ.

I just got back from Maine Saturday.
I bought a map of lighthouses and it lists active and inactive lighthouses.
If I counted right there are 51 active lighthouses on the coast, not all are accessible to the public.
That's a little farther than 300 mile from Washington though.

A little closer you could try Cape Cod, there's also the Barnigate lighthouse in NJ.

WOW 51!? Nice! Where do I get that map??

I know there are some in RI. Visit the Ocean State!

Are there any on the Chesapeake Bay?

I know there are some in RI. Visit the Ocean State!

Are there any on the Chesapeake Bay?

Yeah there are tons on the Bay (in MD) but I haven't found which ones are actually active. I need it for a night shot. I will chekc more details on the wiki page to see after I go home.

But then again, wife just called and said my camera just arrived :mrgreen: so I know I'll be a little busy wih it when I go home :D

Most reactions

Back