Working more with Layers, 1 for C&C

Aayria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've really LOVED Lightroom 3.. It's completely changed the way I edit pictures. But at the same time, it's very restricting to do only "universal" edits instead of localized edits.

So I've been trying to change my workflow a bit: Start with general adjustments in LR, then do local adjustments with curves and masks in Gimp.

I feel a little overwhelmed, getting used to curves, color balance, correcting casts etc.. But I really think it's going to change my pictures for the better, almost as much as when I started using LR. =)

Here is one from last night.. This is my sister in law, can you believe she's ready to have her baby any day?? She's sooo tiny and adorable. I have lots more, that I might try to get up later, but this was the first one I edited.

4904751016_433c208b95.jpg

Quick run through of editing process:

1- Minor color adjustments and sharpening in Gimp
2- very slight "S" curve in Gimp
3- duplicate layer, add screen, add layer mask, paint back in her face to brighten the face a little
4- duplicate layer, add screen, multiply, add layer mask, paint back in her hands and wrists. (they were so much brighter than her face in the original- almost overexposed but not quite, so I just darkened them a little to balance it )
5- heal a few small blemishes and paint opacity over the red/swollen areas of her hands (from pregnancy)

How is the final result? Like I said..this is a totally different style of editing for me, and it's a lot "more" than I ussually do. I don't want my pictures to start looking too post processed..did this pull it off alright?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
The editing looks good to me on an image of this size and quality; as an 8x10 print it might be different, but I'd say you've done a good job.

Post-processing is like make-up; lots of work and effort go into making it look like nothing was done.

The editing looks good to me on an image of this size and quality; as an 8x10 print it might be different, but I'd say you've done a good job.

Post-processing is like make-up; lots of work and effort go into making it look like nothing was done.

Thanks for that perspective..I hadn't thought of it that way. I felt like I was doing a LOT more to this picture than ussual, when the goal was "supposed' to be to do less. But when you put it that way.. "do more to make it LOOK like you did less" it makes so much more sense.

I just got LR 3 last night. And let me tell you, I'm ROYALLY Confused. Ill have to look up a few tutorials and such. But this pic gives me home! I like it.

looks very good, layers rock i only use Photoshop but everything goes in layers and the results are tremendous. Your photo is good and i would say the workflow while it requires the use of more than one program is still a great start.

+1 H

I'll be honest. I hate people photography unless it's candid (even then it doesn't do much for me). But I love this picture. The way they are both holding her stomach, the expression on her face. Great photo and superb PP.

I like that haha!

The picture looks really nice, the only little thing that caught my eye was in composition of the photo where the top of her head is cut off a slight bit. The PP work looks really nice though.

Uh...Lightroom 3 can do all kinds of local edits. Thats what the Targeted Adjustment tool is for.

If you want to learn how to use Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw (they are essentially the same thing) a good book to have around is:

Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS4 (or CS5) by Fraser and Schewe
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Camera-Adobe-Photoshop/dp/0321580133/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282156863&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS4 (9780321580139): Bruce Fraser, Jeff Schewe: Books[/ame]

Thanks for the explanation of your workflow on this. I think it came out very well.

I think you did a great job with the picture and edit. Keep up the good work.

Most reactions

Back