Working on a composite/lightpainting -- thoughts so far?

Braineack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got bored today around sunset and went back to a closed off road that I took pictures at earlier in the day.

This is a bend of 12 exposures. I missed the mark keeping my visor down.

Thoughts so far? What can I do to improve on this?

composite_wrx.jpg

here's juts a single shot in auto mode to get a baseline:

DSC_4608-1.jpg

and here's some method:

DSC_4611-4.jpg

flare is real, just went to f/22 and exposed for just the lights and not overall.

DSC_4631-13.jpg

Last edited:
Nice start. Mind you, I've never done something like this, so I can't comment from experience, but I can comment from an artistic/lighting sense. A few things that catch my attention:

-The visor down in the car. Leave it up! Nobody likes the warning sticker...
-Leave the reflections on the windows... the inside of the car seems to distract. OR, use a polarizer and light the inside of the car too with some cool lights.
-The reflection on the yellow lines is a bit distracting... maybe tone them down?
-The lighting, especially on the front, are a bit flat. Aim the flash from above or below to really highlight the body styling.
-I might have pulled the car closer or use a longer lens.. or both. To help separate it from the BG.
-Increase the exposure difference. The car "fits" with the exposure rather than pops from the background. Maybe that's just me, but I'd like to see a bit more of a difference.
-The far-away mirror seems a bit under exposed.

Those are all nitpicks, but that's what I see. Definitely a solid attempt and I look forward to seeing more! Nice car, BTW.

Cheers!
Jake

Comments on #1:
Besides the visor there is that white bump at the rear window that adds confusion. Like Whats that?
I'm no master of car photography but this looks like it's lit well. I like the time of day, the whole scene.
Shows some lighting skill. Even the rear light for the ground.
Can't say how to improve - maybe light interior better?
What would help is to convert it into a Corvette. :)

1. yeah totally didnt think of it. I'll try to edit out.
2. grabbed the wrong damn CPL. I did light this from the inside but I have that layer dialed back a lot.
3. ill look at this again, i was trying to play up the actual light on the ground from the headlights.
4. i agree, ill see what I can do. I lit it from all sorts of different angles.
5. i was at 135mm, any longer and the camera was just so far away it was a pita walking back to check if I got what I wanted, and it was getting close to being in the middle of a real road :p. I couldn't find a way to actually drive on the road itself. that would have been ideal.
6. i can tone the bg down.
7. i liked it a little darker since it's to the far side. ill play with it.

Last edited:
okay, after some edits from DBJ's input:

composite_wrx1.jpg

Definitely like it a bit more. Any way you can up the clarity on the car itself? And maybe deepen the blacks, especially on the tires?

composite_wrx-2.jpg

Selectively darkened all but the car. Added clarity to all but the car. Added clarity to all. Darkened the FG a bit. Darkened the window/inside.

Quick.. but my "idea" of what I am thinking.

Jake

I totes forgot to add clarity in LR before I exported for PS.

I totes forgot to add clarity in LR before I exported for PS.

I couldn't live without some clarity in my images...

Edit:

I should add that the FG darkening was done with a gradient from bottom to top(mid car). So it flows in, rather than a chunk of darkness.

Yeah I'll play with it more tomorrow. This isn't my favorite type of shoot but I've been wanting to do it there for two years now.

All that's missing is some hot babe on five-inch heels and wearing very little... :1219:

All out of those.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back