Working on my "people shooting".

MGriff240

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I'm going to start shooting people more often now (which sounds terrible. :lol:), so I want some C & C on these first shots.

These first two are from way back of a friend.

4456489055_a73a980ee5.jpg

4456489061_64b92474f0.jpg

These are new ones from a little shoot I did with my girlfriend.

4457243280_51eb69e9cd.jpg

4448939193_19acf5ec0a.jpg

4448960413_5c0eb6cedd.jpg

4448968065_f8e6953a3d.jpg

4449749696_659375ce7b.jpg

This is really not my area... buuut:

Shot 1: I really would have liked to see a tiny bit of flash to just fill her in for this shot. Just so that she is not in total shadow and that we can see a little detail in her eye (inest of it being dark and bleeding into her eyelashes). You exposed the shot well to keep the sky in check which is a good thing, now you need a bit more light on the subject. You could even have used a reflector to just redirect some light.

Shot 2: I see where you are going with this shot, but I feel that it doesn't work because of the background areas. It's a contemplative pose and the framing is one which brings the background areas very much into the viewers attention - thus we need something better for the subject to look out over rather than just grass and a rising fence - the fence is not all that interesting and it rising up out of the landscape rather puts a wall like feeling to the shot. I would have wanted a scene without the fence at least and idealy with a background showing some landscape/aspects further off that would be able to hold a little interest.

Shots 3-7: I see again where you are going with these, darker and trying for some mood, but again I feel that your subject is just in too much shadow for good presentation. Further her face is often one of the darker areas of the shot, rather than a reletive brighter patch which means that our attention is not drawn there first. By the last shot you have started to get a better overall presentation - her face is brighter so we are drawn to pay attention and the background appears slightly better chosen.

Shot 4: The foreground distractions are just too distracting for my taste, they obstruct our view and appear more like a mistake than the delibrate move you were making and the image you are trying to create. Again her face is very shadowed and dark.

I do like the compositions you are experimenting with in these shots, but you need to work on your lighting and pay attention a bit more to your background areas. Some offcamera lighting setups (flash or simple reflectors) would be a great asset for you to look into for this kind of work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back