WORKING THE STORM ~ A photo essay.

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Aye Mates,
I have been training with STORM, A black standard poodle that will be coming into his 2nd year this fall. STORM is out of field bloodlines and I have viewed him as a "diamond in the rough" since first evaluating his potential last June. STORM was nearly nine months old when I first agreed to work with him and he came with some baggage specific to negative behaviors that needed to be addressed, those seeming from owner error and not intentional. Situations of these circumstances are not uncommonly experienced by trainers, some being up to the challenge, others refusing to deal with them. I must admit STORM intrigued me as I had not previously worked with the breed.

b-odzo8xtba1jnnhjtd1fa_thumb_8acd_fotor-jpg.212814

STORM ~ Gun dog / hunt test prospect STORM is viewed on the training table holding a freshly thawed mallard. Our session today began with a number of obedience related drills both on-lead and off-lead during which STORM was required to carry the bird whilst not exhibiting any dysfunctional mouthing habits. When I first began working with STORM literally had very poor obedience and was completely destructive with items he was allowed to play with or carry. STORM is a much different lad now.

wdj3bngxtnyzuyldikkd1w_thumb_8ada_fotor-jpg.212815

STORM ~ Seen returning from a long single marked retrieve of a freshly thawed mallard, our trainee STORM is seen carrying this bird back to the handler / trainer where is expected to sit and deliver to hand in classic form. Properly trained in foundational and formalized obedience along with hold and force fetch conditioning has STORM on track in his development of the skill sets needed to be considered a competent gun dog.

STORM was highly fearful of the water just last year at this time and I worked very diligently with him to gradually boost his self confidence through slow and steady progression whilst keeping him motivated.

sxc87ezdscggdxn2tqar-a_thumb_8b03_fotor-jpg.212817

STORM ~ Highly fearful of water last year and still unsure of himself on May 1st, 2019, I have worked with very focused energy on teaching STORM to love the water. I now use water related drills at the end of a session as a high value reward for STORM providing his work on land is up to snuff during yard work. Here STORM is seen making the retrieve of a freshly thawed mallard during a training session conducted this morning.

icscynp2qgupzl5ukgf5mw_thumb_8afd_fotor-jpg.212820

STORM ~ A totally improved level of self confidence achieved, STORM has acquired a new liking for water. Just add ducks to improve motivation, our lad STORM is now seen cutting through the water without much of the frantic thrashing that he displayed with every swim at this time last year. It is so rewarding to see STORM gaining confidence and competence.

ugqgxtw6thoh49meujuyjg_thumb_8b12_fotor-jpg.212822

STORM ~ Our gun dog trainee is seen here as he re-enters the water to make the return of a land - water - land single marked retrieve. A newly acquired skill for STORM, my use of this technical pond allows me to send STORM across land, down an embankment, across a channel of water, up an embankment where he must locate the bird and return with it in reverse order to make delivery to hand.

STORM has been back with me since May 1st and his progress made has been remarkable, a sure testimony to his intelligence. I am a Labrador Retriever man from head to toe having loved everything about the breed for nearly four decades. Had anybody suggested I would ever have enjoyed working with a poodle, I likely would have considered them crackers. I would not have been more wrong. This lad STORM has a special place in my heart and I thoroughly enjoy training with him. He does cause me to think outside of my more standard methods applied, but that just opens me to becoming a better, more flexible, and more well versed trainer. Thank ye STORM, I appreciate ye help in that regard.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back