Working to improve

gtkelly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm working towards improving overall. Here's what I think is my latest 'strong' image. I've been concentrating on composition as well as my general 'vision' and how I see things. Yes - this was shot in harsh mid-day light. Only time I had to shoot. Comments on composition as well as anything I can improve welcome!

Georgetown-2.jpg

For me, the image is too dark and I am missing an interesting color to make a contrast.

Good concept, surely the sky can't be that dark in midday? What were your settings? maybe you could cut out the building part and just do an upward angle on the steeple?...something different. Too busy. Or even the top of the steeple...good try!

Actually, I quite like your deliberate underexposure that you chose to imitate something like a polariser impression, and as not to blow out the brightly lit parts of the house. The sky is a tad dark and so are the shadows, you should now test out in some post processing software how far you can go to bring back some light and still not blow the houses.

I am happy you included those. The steeple alone would have been boring, here you add some context that shows lines, shapes and shadows.
Since I don't know the area where this was taken, it is hard to tell if another angle might have looked better.

With the amount of sky in the right upper corner, the weather wane well inside your frame, all the lines parallel to the frame, I think you composed well and the photo is NOT too busy.

Only nitpick is the dust speck in the sky (nothing the clone tool in PS could not help get rid of) and the somewhat too dark shadows.

there is dust on the sensor, yes, but the image is not "flat", it has a very strong contrast and is a bit dark.

composition is not exciting, but also not totally horrible.

what did you want to show with this image?

There are some fine qualities here, and I've always felt that working with underexposed .jpg is preferable to me than working with overexposed .jpg, but I think the composition really needs some more at the bottom. The perspective appears a bit shallow also- maybe needs a little more drama.

I can't stand harsh midday light and clear blue sky in my work other than in documentation shots. I'm trying to narrow my scope and find subjects in the shade during those times.

Those were just my opinions...I see what I like, and others will see what they like...the picture isn't horrible, it just wouldn't be one I'd look at twice.

Those were just my opinions...I see what I like, and others will see what they like...the picture isn't horrible, it just wouldn't be one I'd look at twice.

this holds for all of our comments .... opinions ;)

sorry, I thought flat meant lacking depth. It deffinately has contrast, I just think it looks like the building is more like a billboard with a building printed on it kinda fla. Like litterally flat. Also I just looked again, I think I might dislike what looks like selective coloring with the gray bricks or something. I really can't explain it and I didn't want to say it and be rude from the begining but this image bothers me and I really don't like it.
Also he wants to improve and since I don't know what bothers me, I can't help him improve. So I said to clean the sensor.

don't feel like you have to defend your crtiques...it's your opinion...no matter how much anyone disagrees with you

Well personally I think your composition is pretty good.. I would like to see just a little more below, just to include railings..

I think your VISION is Ex-Lent Here... you have some very strong shapes and lines carrying this photo , even though the light was your enemy on this shoot.. Your Vision also picked up on another fact that carries this shot and that is the warm colors of the building...Light Brown/ Light Blue, and they work good together!!

I THINK YOU DID A GREAT JOB HERE, Its just the light , as said, is your only enemy with this pic, and that isn't even all that bad.. so don't hang your head to low on this one.. Light failed you, NOT your Eyes!!!

I wanna see more shots of the cupola and the clock.

Thanks all. And I saw no comments that I consider either rude or offensive. As usual, I just get good feedback that I will apply to future opportunities. I've seen a lot of improvement in my picts overall since I started hanging out here. It's because of comments like these.

Looks like my biggest room for improvement is to get out there earlier in the day.

Still don't know now I missed the blasted dust. Time for new glasses...

Most reactions

Back