Working with a Rebel XTI

Mommy07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to this forum and pretty new to my Rebel XTI. My hubby got it for me for a late Christmas gift. Before that I was using my Cannon Powershot G6-which worked well as an everyday camera but I wanted to do more with zoom and portraits. I felt as though my Powershot G6 was a little tempermental with lighting. Thankfully, my Rebel XTI has come out with beautiful pictures and excellent lighting. I am just wondering how to make the best use of my camera. I need to understand the settings on my camera better and I was hoping that those with more experience than I in this area could help me out. :smileys:

"Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is a fabulous book to read if you'd like to know what your camera can do. If you already know the abilities of a dSLR, then I would just look around at Flickr or Photography-on-the.net - see what others are doing and try to recreate; will help you understand your camera better.

thank you I will have to look into that. I know some of the capabilities (why we got this one) but I know there is more to it than what I am doing now. I want to learn about different filters and lenses too. I don't know much about that since I didn't have anything for my Powershot G6.

Welcome aboard.

I wouldn't worry too much about additional stuff just yet. Concentrate on learning about exposure and photography, not necessarily what your camera can do...but what any camera can do. Once you have an understanding of Exposure (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, Depth of field) then you will be able to use your camera more effectively.

I am pretty good to go with most of these features, but aperature is still confounding to me... I have read about it but putting it into practical use is still difficult. I do have a book on Canon DSLRs that I should spend some quality time with. I am looking for some good tips to help me along, I know that most of it I am going to have to learn by playing around with my camera. But any tips or suggestions to make my learning experience a little easier is much appreciated.

It's hard to know what sort of tips to give, without knowing where you are (in terms of photography knowledge) and what you like to shoot.

If you could post some examples of shots that you've taken, along with some information about what you like and what you would want to change...then maybe we can help a little more.

Someone recommended 'Understanding Exposure' and I'll second that recommendation.

Here is a variety of photos that I have taken some much better than others. I like to take pictures of most everything. I have been wanting to take portraits but still feel as though I have to much to learn. I get more bad pictures than good. I am probably at about 60/40 good to bad... but still need work. http://mommy07.deviantart.com/gallery/ I dont think I have many portrait type pictures on this site, plus I havn't done much in the way of portraits due to having my daughter and going back to school. I mostly take pictures of my daughter now. I am eager to get out and start back up again though. I will post a couple of the 'good' senior photos/portraits I have taken though.

IMG_0688.jpg

2595675159_c165523e8f_m.jpg
2595672763_8b43d053f5_m.jpg

2596505172_2e67c81253_m.jpg
2596504146_10d0e7e83f_m.jpg

Granted these are older portraits and the last two practice for lighting. I also used my old camera for all but the first one, but you get the idea for my "style" regarding portraits.

HA - what the ****. Seems like you have quite a good grasp on it to me. There are obviously some for snap-shottish (as if thats a bad thing) shots in there, but also some very well done shots as well.

The shots of your kids (assuming these four are your kids) are pretty good, and of course would be made better with some more control of the light (as well as made more "dynamic").

Thank you, actually two of them are my siblings, one a friend, and the baby is mine :mrgreen: I guess I will just have to play around with my new camera and work on getting them as good if not better than my last camera(which I don't think will be too hard).

I just don't think that they are quite up to par with perfessional photos yet and that is where I am trying to get.

I also shoot a Rebel XTi and love it. I'm no pro but maybe I can help.

That would be excellent! I have been working with the manual setting mostly and have been doing alot of B/W. I would like to expand my knowledge on using all the other settings, aperature, etc. Much abliged!:thumbup:

You really can't beat Understanding Exposure for getting a foundation for aperature, shutter speed and Iso and how they work together. He also gives lots of techniques for challenging and sometimes difficult shots. Lots of great photos as well and he tells you exactly how he shot them.

I've had my XTi for a little over 6 months and am really enjoying it. After a couple of thousand shots, I believe I am really getting the feel for it.

Most reactions

Back