Working with people and expectations

Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First i would like to say I am not a pro.

Today i had a photoshoot with my church (they went to me as they did not have the money for a pro)

and i have to say it was the most unorganized event i have ever done.
For one, nobody was ready for their shoot so the coordinator was with me filling people in and not giving me time. (it was indoor shoot in the chapel).

I was constantly going from big group (7 - 15 people) to a small family on different sides of the chapel with no chance for lens switching. I was very confined to space (mostly whatever i could get in a standard middle aisle). And all my equipment was my D200 (broken and stuck in manual mode) and Sb-600 with a light stand.

90% of the time i was too rushed to use the lightstand (until the end when i told her things must get static since its only families left) so i had the flash on the camera with a diffuser ( she said i must stay mobile at first). (ceiling too high to bounce). Moving all around the chapel switched the lighting shot to shot and she moved the people after one photo (told me i did not have time for two per group).

Im seeing my results are about mixed. i would say about 65 - 75% came out pretty good and the rest were just mediocre. Now, she told me to let her know my price but she wants to see the photos first.

How do i go about choosing a price for this? I will be giving her the photos on a disk with unlimited rights. I was shooting under these conditions for about an hour and a half. I am in between 100 or 150 (i know this is very low but i know the church can not afford much more and my father is a deacon)

I mean, she cant expect excellence under these conditions can she? She told me she would like to view the photos before we determine a price. Thats fine, but i do want to have a point to where i can just say "no, i wont give you the photos for less then that".

Offer your best and do it for free.

Why?

im not discrediting what you say but all that implies is that:
lack of organization and rushing is a good way to get free photos.

im guessing somebody more experienced could have done better in the situation but i dont think my work should go away free?

Maybe some tips for next time under these circumstances? how would a better photographer have acted? She chose location and set people up and had me walk spot to spot to grab the photos. Once it became more static and i had my lightstand set up the photos turned out good

Most reactions

New Topics

Back