world cup - shooting at millenium square (leeds, UK)

Paul_the_6th

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.paulwilson.me.uk
I turned up at millenium square in leeds on saturday with my camera, all prepared to capture the highs and lows of England's last game in the world cup tournament.

After queuing for ages to get thru the gates, i was frisked, asked to open my bag, then told "Sorry mate no proffessional photographers". I responded "I'm a graphic designer, this is my personal hobby". He responded "that looks like a professional camera to me" - I said "if i bring my 2 megapixel compact with me is that ok with you?" he said "that sounds professional to me too".

I ran back to the car, ditched my camera and made my way back only to be dished some more abuse when I got back to the gates. Once I was in, after about half an hour, there was a guy walking round with a 30d and mega telephoto lens. I collared him to ask how he'd gotten in with it - "I just walked through with it mate, they didn't say anything to me" was his response. He was exactly the same as me but i got turned away.

Later I spotted two photographers with media passes so I caught up with them and asked how they'd gotten hold of media passes. They said the agency they shoot for, had sorted it all out prior to the event.

Next time I'm gonna find out how to get a media pass. What are peoples views on being turned away while other's are allowed to get in scott free? Seems like discrimination to me. I didn't want to spoil the other guys afternoon as I wouldn't like it to happen to me.

Although my main source of income is not photography, I do work for a company who has quite a reputation in that direction so it does help to flash the pass I have - although most of the time it really comes down to blagging. I think I would have been outraged if someone did that to me and I would kick up a stink right at the turnstile. It usually does the trick, it really pays off to stand up for yourself. I went to Le Mans a couple of weeks ago and *couldn't* blag my way in to the press areas so found the only spot on a hill overlooking the Porsche curves that would minimise the amount of fencing you get in the shots....I got there and predictably there were 3 or 4 others there with lenses that looked at least 3 times bigger than my 200....after a few minutes of letting them take some shots I just stood in front of them and took around 300 shouts in half an hour. No one said a thing, but then to be honest - what are they going to say 'I was here first'? Ha ha.

Just bring your day job business card to prove you're just an amateur.

If you're Asian, wear a t-shirt that says Disneyland, talk really fast in your native language, and speak really bad english. Most people will pass you off as a tourist and let you in.

If all else fails, throw your camera at the guard's head and yell "Here's your damn camera!"

Most reactions

Back