limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
See, I DO have a life outside of Leaderboard!

The 18th of October is the day to celebrate toy cameras. Generally, a "toy camera" tends to have a plastic or very simple single element lens, plastic bodies, very few - if any! - options for settings or focus.

This year, I took the Konstruktor and the Holga to take a few shots at the farmers' market that is held on the grounds of an old estate called Boscobel here in the Hudson Valley. For those who don't know, the Konstruktor is a do-it-yourself kit plastic SLR with a waist-level finder, put out by Lomography. It has no exposure settings whatsoever but you can focus it.

I'm still editing out some dust spots from the Holga shots. In the meantime, here are my favorites from the Konstruktor:

Three trees
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Tree and valley

Roses

Little yellow house

Fountain

Balls 2

Balls

Driveway

An accidental double exposure that I kinda like:

Double

And the turkey at the farmers' market that I got to pet! Right after I took the picture, it reached its neck out at me and gobbled really loud. :)

rs Turkey

Last edited:
very interesting!

Thanks, bri :)

Forgot to say, these were all shot on a roll of 400 ISO film I'd picked up in a grocery store in Slovenia this past summer. Why did I buy it? Because when faced with rolls of color film for 2 euros, you buy it. You just do. It's essentially rebranded Fuji, probably Superia.

can you explain to us all what 400 iso film means and how it relates to digital camera iso?

can you explain to us all what 400 iso film means and how it relates to digital camera iso?

Probably not. I know 400 ISO is a faster film, more sensitive to light. How does it relate to digital camera ISO? Have no idea.

We need Derrel for this.

400 ISO film is like 100 billion zillion jillion times BETTER than any digital sensor at ISO 400. Ask any dyed-in-the-wool film user...they'll all tell you the same number...100 billion zillion jillion!

400 ISO film is like 100 billion zillion jillion times BETTER than any digital sensor at ISO 400. Ask any dyed-in-the-wool film user...they'll all tell you the same number...100 billion zillion jillion!

Totes! I KNEW you could explain it! :laugh2:

You have 3 balls :aiwebs_016:

I like 'Three Trees' and love LOVE 'Driveway'. Those look like giant snowballs rolling around in the grass! lol Darned if I didn't forget all about Toy Camera Day but that's what kind of week it was.

Now Derrel don't exaggerate, it's only a billion zillion.

I usually set my digital camera to an ISO comparable to whatever film speed I'd use. My starting point is 100/200 outdoors in relatively sunny conditions, 400 for lower light (dark and cloudy, late day, etc.). Indoors I find where I could manage with 400 speed film I often end up raising the ISO using the digital, just depends.

I mostly use my digital camera like it's a film camera - all manual all the time with a beat up looking 50 year old lens slapped on it. Just have to remember if I'm out shooting using both when I switch back to the digital and use the viewscreen to not whack myself in the forehead with it.

Last edited:
"Driveway" is a very interesting composition. For those of us who like to see a picture within a picture, I see a steepled church with a light on top.

Turkey shot; one gobble deserves another.

Oh, right, you won't eat it.

The turkey was happy with you because you didn't try to pluck & roast him!

I really like roses, balls 2, and driveway. :icon_thumleft:

love the roses!!!

others I like, but the roses make me feel something

Like them all.. but especially Three trees for the light, Roses for the camera angle and colour and Driveway for one of those "must have" shots done differently

Most reactions

Back