Worlds largest monopod?

Harris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I had to go to a wedding rehearsal yesterday outside of a lighthouse here in Port Isabel. Figured I could get a few interesting shots(unfortunately I didn't have much in the way of free time). What I did get was to meet a new friend and see the largest monopod I've ever seen!

Here are the few pics I was able to get of the lighthouse, feel free to C & C
lighthousefull.jpg

lighthousetop.jpg

Ran into this guy, started talking and had to share these photos - I emailed him a link to the forum simply because this guys ingenuity amazed me.

monopod.jpg

monocontrol.jpg

:lol: Ingenious I'll agree, but the shots he took couldn't possibly have turned out sharply...could they? That pole doesn't look too sturdy.

Your shots: 1. I think you lost a bit of detail in the bottom of the lighthouse because of the lighting. I'd also clone out the light pole, wires and top of the pole at the bottom. Nice shot though.

2. Love it! Great detail and focus. :thumbup:

Hard to imagine the results. That pole seems to bend and it's got to be pretty unstable so unless he shoots with a high speed, how often does he get an image in focus?

You were there, what's his technique?

And the other question that comes to mind is: what's the purpose of the pole? Serious question, I don't get it.

Ok, firstly there's usually about 30 MPH winds around these parts, so I'm assuming he's shooting a bunch of photos then weeding them out for the best shots.

He had a monitor on the base of the pole so he could see the shots he was taking, and although I didn't ask I'd assume he's using an image stabilizing lens.

He said he usually shots real estate photography (apparently professionally) and the pole allows him around 30 ft worth of height. Said he made it himself, and used a point and shot for about a year until he got comfortable with the whole camera swaying on a pole 30ft in the air.

Ok, firstly there's usually about 30 MPH winds around these parts, so I'm assuming he's shooting a bunch of photos then weeding them out for the best shots.

Oh yeah, he's got to. Even with much less wind, I would think.

He had a monitor on the base of the pole so he could see the shots he was taking, and although I didn't ask I'd assume he's using an image stabilizing lens.

I figured it was a monitor but it's hard to believe the pole doesn't move (flex/bend) too much to get much useful results. I can't help and think that he's got to shoot an awful lot of photos to get 1 useable one.

He said he usually shots real estate photography (apparently professionally) and the pole allows him around 30 ft worth of height.

But what for? If it's to avoid distortion when shooting taller buildings there are specialized lenses (sorry, I can't think of what they're called right now) that correct the problem. Not cheap from what I remember but a lot easier to use.

Obviously, he's using the darn thing so he must get whatever he wants from it. But it would be nice to hear from someone who uses such a thing.

Thanks for the shots. Interesting.

And sorry for not talking about your lighthouse shots. That pole is just so much more interesting... :lol:

Edit = This is the type of lens I was thinking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_control_lens

Last edited:
No problem Cloudwalker, I too was more interested in that homemade monopod than in taking the photo's I had set out for.

Oh yeah, I think the added height allows him to do exterior shots of single story homes..

Last edited:
You know, people take great pictures from kites, too. If it's possible hanging from kite string, it's possible from a 30 foot pole.

(google KAP, kite aerial photography)

I'm just surprised he can get the camera down successfully without slamming it into the ground.

I'm just surprised he can get the camera down successfully without slamming it into the ground.

Good point. Imagine what would happen if he tripped over something.

Oh yeah, I think the added height allows him to do exterior shots of single story homes..

Or interior shots through second story windows :lmao:

How come the lighthouse shots have that weird darkish blue halo along the sides of the lighthouse?

How come the lighthouse shots have that weird darkish blue halo along the sides of the lighthouse?

I have no idea, I just noticed it myself?

And the pole being used worked just like a regular monopod (only in reverse), the largest section stayed at ground level and the smaller sections slide up out of it. Had some sort of locking mechanism in each section and was clearly marked so that he knew at exact what height the camera was.

Most reactions

Back