World's Largest Vine

Seefutlung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.garyayala.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Treasure of Sierra Madre lies not underground in gold veins but above ground with a lavender blooming vine. The largest vine in the world is celebrated once a year in the little foothill community of Sierra Madre, California.

The 100+ year old vine is now cared for by CalTech students and faculty located down the street in Pasadena.

Weighting in at 250 tons, this Wisteria vine lives in the backyard of several private homes. A few minutes north-east of Pasadena, Sierra Madre is nestled in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains (the mountains you see as a backdrop to the Rose Pardae and Rose Bowl games.) The little town of 11,800 boasts of no traffic signals and only one fast food restaurant. The town takes pride in its old Victorian and Craftsman homes and the Oak tree lined streets creating a canopy of green.

More Snaps Here

139712099-L.jpg

139710841-L.jpg

Gary

That's really cool! I think it's amazing that something as beautiful as the wistaria could destroy a house.

I guess the weight on the roof .. so now the vine's is entirely on scaffolding type of stuff. Probably a senior project for the engineering students at CalTech.

Wow. I love wisterias but have never seen them used for roofing!

Yep, two of the homes have a living patio cover. Since Wisteria is [SIZE=-1]deciduous, in winter it allows more light and in summer more shade. The back half of one home is completely engulfed by plant. The owners have cut out portholes through the plant on their second floor so they can look out their windows.[/SIZE]

Most reactions

Back