Worst Photographic injury???

KonicaKyle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was just wondering if anyone has incurred serious injury whilst trying to find that perfect shot??

I've fallen about 3 feet, and scratched my leg, but that's about the worst of it!

And also, if / when you feel yourself begin to fall, what is your basic instinct-protect yourself, or protect your camera?!?!

Just thought it'd be an interesting discussion!

one of the pros who does the drag circut broke his leg when a large chunk of engine casing off a blown tf engine hit him at the bottom end

Ouch! that one will take some beating i reckon!

I fell off a wall once. :lol:
Apparently it looked pretty funny from my friends point of view, kind of like in a movie, my hand just stuck up over the wall with me camera in it, with me shouting "IT'S OK!"
Other than that, nothing else. :(

I can't recall any serious injuries to myself.

One of my favorite landscape photographers, Dean Brown, died in 1973 when he fell from a waterfall he was photographing. He fell 75' into a stream. When the rangers finally found him many hours later he was still alive, using the last of his strength to hold his exposed film above the water he was laying in. Some of his last words to his wife were development instructions for the film.

If you can find his book, "Photographs of the American Wilderness", it's a good one. It includes photographs he took moments before the fall.

I remember you telling this story, Matt - it amazed me when I first heard it, and it still does....the presence of mind that guy had.

No major injuries for me. I forgot my elastic knee supports when we went to Bryce Canyon last fall, and managed to blow my knees out the very first day, on that first descent. I was more annoyed with myself for forgetting them than anything else. Wrapped them up in ace bandages and took a lot of anti inflammatories the next day so I could still hike. And carry 3 cameras, of course. :lol:

I have had my camera on me several times while being on rollerblades, not only in this summer, but in summers before. And I once slipped (erm... on rollerblades this CAN happen) and fell and ... indeed cared about the cameras BEFORE caring about myself. Hurt my thumb at the time (not the pinky like the last time I fell and tried to steady myself by clutching that street sign) but the camera stayed all right. Nothing worse ... I did NOT fall into the river when I took the dragonfly pics several weeks ago, although it was close...

I ride a BMX and Im always photographing my friends, and one day when I using my $2000 dollar Nikkor wide angle lens, I got a little too close to the subject because I wasnt used to the distance of the lens. So my friend starts pedaling and Im getting ready and I see him coming from the edge of the lens and he was damn close so I pull back the camera and his peg slices my arm open real nice. I ended with 23 stitches, but the lens was okay and thats all I care about. So that's why I bought a Minolt aso I dont have to worry about losing a 2 grand lens cause they dont make one!

I have a selection of beater cameras for using in adverse conditions. I highly recommend Pentax Spotmatics as a great choice for a 35mm SLR beater. They are cheap, lenses and accessories are easy to find, have some of the best glass ever, and they are solid metal bricks.

Last February, I was out capturing some of the graffiti in the back alleys of Toronto's fashion district when I slipped on some ice and twisted my ankle. Torn ligaments, the whole nine yards.. I still have trouble walking in the mornings.

KonicaKyle said:
And also, if / when you feel yourself begin to fall, what is your basic instinct-protect yourself, or protect your camera?!?!
I had a 28-105 on my AE-1.. I remember clutching the lens on my way down :lol: Thankfully my tripod doubled as a crutch as I hobbled home..

ksmattfish said:
I highly recommend Pentax Spotmatics as a great choice for a 35mm SLR beater. They are cheap, lenses and accessories are easy to find, have some of the best glass ever, and they are solid metal bricks.

My FIRST camera! I still have it... emotionally attached. In fact, I bought one in new condition a few years back (paid WAY too much for it).

As for injuries, I've been lucky. Only thing that comes to mind is changing a quartz bulb without unplugging the unit... after being warned... twice. I think you know how that ended.

Pete

lot and lot of the war photograohers, died trying to find the perfict short...

inferior said:
lot and lot of the war photograohers, died trying to find the perfict short...

yeah, but thats a total EXTREME...

a few weeks ago i tore my arm up pretty nice protecting my camera.. hahaha. my 9 year old cousin decided to throw a water balloon at me and more importantly my d70... i saw it coming and jumped back and went over a picnic table and my arm scratched against a screw...

glad thats the worst though

Most reactions

Back