worth buying a good super telephoto for a T3?

As others have said, your t3 will do just fine and take some very sharp images with higher quality glass. I have a t3 along with the Canon 100-400L and it was a massive step up from my kit telezoom.

I would also suggest renting whatever lens for more than one day. Sometimes it takes more time to find the sweet spot and get used to how a new lens functions to get the optimal result.

This is at 400mm with the 100-400L...

Caribbean Flamingo by ImidgeryByKMidgett, on Flickr

Last edited:
I believe the question was "Is it worth buying a super tele-zoom for a T3". The answer is "Yes".

Note, you may find yourself disappointed with the Frames per second of your camera if you plan on catching "Birds in Flight". Also for an action type subjects the cameras FPS and processor speed may be disappointing. Generally the kind of work done with a tele-zoom is wildlife or action sports where continuous shots and fast processing speed is very helpful. However it is not required.

I had a T2i that I did upgrade to a 7D because I like to catch Birds in Flight, but I still have some great BIF shots I did take with the T2i. In fact I find the T2i is excellent to throw my walk around lens on while using the tele-zoom on the 7D. The only problem with the T2i and likely your T3 will be after 3 or 4 continuous shots the camera will stop taking shots while it catches up on processing (as the bird flies away :( ).

If you are going to be shooting stationary objects at a distance the T3 is fine.

I believe the question was "Is it worth buying a super tele-zoom for a T3". The answer is "Yes".

Note, you may find yourself disappointed with the Frames per second of your camera if you plan on catching "Birds in Flight". Also for an action type subjects the cameras FPS and processor speed may be disappointing. Generally the kind of work done with a tele-zoom is wildlife or action sports where continuous shots and fast processing speed is very helpful. However it is not required.

I had a T2i that I did upgrade to a 7D because I like to catch Birds in Flight, but I still have some great BIF shots I did take with the T2i. In fact I find the T2i is excellent to throw my walk around lens on while using the tele-zoom on the 7D. The only problem with the T2i and likely your T3 will be after 3 or 4 continuous shots the camera will stop taking shots while it catches up on processing (as the bird flies away :( ).

If you are going to be shooting stationary objects at a distance the T3 is fine.

What he said!

I have the Sigma 150-500mm and it's an excellent lens however, I don't use it anymore. I kept missing wildlife shots that were too close for the camera to focus on. I now use the Sigma 50-500mm. It's a newer lens and it's much more versatile. It focuses to under 4 feet and at 500mm. That gives near macro performance. The 50mm comes it handy occasionally too. A lot of people here are gaga over that Tamron 150-600mm however I saw one review that said it didn't like to focus in dim light. That's exactly how my Tamron 28-300mm behaves. It's only useful in bright light. Save your nickels and dimes until you can afford the Sigma 50-500mm. You'll be glad you did. This issue was thrashed out at length last month in this thread:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-still-shocked-about-sigma-150-500-d7100.html

I think I made the case for a wildlife lens that focuses close in that thread.

Alright, well I am on the list to rent the sigma over this weekend. So I should know what I want to do after I can get out and use it. I'm pumped because I saw a bald eagle down by the river last week and I didn't even know we had bald eagles in Dayton, OH. I am determined to hunt him down and take his picture now. You all have been more than helpful, thank you for your input

I have the Sigma 150-500mm and it's an excellent lens however, I don't use it anymore. I kept missing wildlife shots that were too close for the camera to focus on. I now use the Sigma 50-500mm. It's a newer lens and it's much more versatile. It focuses to under 4 feet and at 500mm. That gives near macro performance. The 50mm comes it handy occasionally too. A lot of people here are gaga over that Tamron 150-600mm however I saw one review that said it didn't like to focus in dim light. That's exactly how my Tamron 28-300mm behaves. It's only useful in bright light. Save your nickels and dimes until you can afford the Sigma 50-500mm. You'll be glad you did. This issue was thrashed out at length last month in this thread:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-still-shocked-about-sigma-150-500-d7100.html

I think I made the case for a wildlife lens that focuses close in that thread.

If I end up decided on purchasing a 150-500 after this weekend, you should sell me yours, since you don't use it anymore :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back