Worth getting the 50mm f/1.8 for the D40x?

Lacey Anne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.laceyanne.photoreflect.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really want the 50mm f/1.8 but I know I'll have to manual focus it on my D40x. I plan to upgrade cameras in the next six months or so to the D300 so I know I'll be able to auto-focus with it in the near future. Do you think it would be too difficult to do any type of portraits with it in manual? Should I just wait until I have the D300?

I've had the same problem -- for a while I was hoping on the Sigma 50mm 1.4, but now I see retailers are listing it for $499 ...

For portrait work, I would say definitely go for it. The little green focus confirmation dot will work fine, and soft focus on portraits isn't disastrous most of the time. For $100, it's still a steal.

I agree, so long as you're OK maual-focusing, then the 1.8 is still a spectacular deal. You'll only really be using it for still objects, anyway, so you should be fine. Go for it!

I really want the 50mm f/1.8 but I know I'll have to manual focus it on my D40x. I plan to upgrade cameras in the next six months or so to the D300 so I know I'll be able to auto-focus with it in the near future. Do you think it would be too difficult to do any type of portraits with it in manual? Should I just wait until I have the D300?
Definitely yes ... but, maybe not.

Here's why ... if a D40 can use a 50 1.4 AIS those are a dime a dozen lately and as sharp, maybe even a tad sharper, and 2/3 of a stop faster.

I'm pretty sure you can, but you probably have to meter manually. Does the D40 linkup with AF lenses for metering? If so I would go with the 1.8 AF. If not I'd go with an older 1.4 AIS.

I hope this helped instead of muddying the water further.

LWW

I agree, so long as you're OK maual-focusing, then the 1.8 is still a spectacular deal. You'll only really be using it for still objects, anyway, so you should be fine. Go for it!
I have to disagree on the still objects thout.

It's equal to a 75MM f1.8 on a film camera and I've found it to be an astounding lens for indoor sports like basketball as long as you can get to court side being that it obviously doesn't have a great deal of reach.

It works quite well for night time outdoor sports like HS football also, again assuming you can get to the sidelines.

Of all the Nikkor glass I own, and it's enough to buy a decent car, the 1.8 AF is IMHO the ne plus ultra of value.

I do wish the lens had metal construction ... but then it would cost a lot more, and at this price point it wouldn't hurt too much is you broke one.

That's not to imply that it's fragile either because mine is closing in on 20 years of age (Bought it in 1991/92 ish.) and I have probably shot at least 5,000 shots with it over time.

It honestly is typical Nikkor indestructible but has always had a flimsier feel to it than other Nikkors ... owners will know what I mean.

Similar to the new G kit lenses in that aspect and probably because it was the kit lens for years itself.

LWW

Definetly yes. Most of my favorite shots from my d40x have come from this lens.

I have to disagree on the still objects though.

It's equal to a 75MM f1.8 on a film camera and I've found it to be an astounding lens for indoor sports like basketball as long as you can get to court side being that it obviously doesn't have a great deal of reach.

It works quite well for night time outdoor sports like HS football also, again assuming you can get to the sidelines.
Good point. I guess I only use it for still objects because I know I'd be rubbish at moving ones :p. I would've thought that a lens like the 1.8 would be really pushing the autofocus system to its limit, is this not the case on certain cameras? I guess that if used right, the 1.8/1.4 can be a great sport lens.

Ha! I won one today and I got it for under $100 which was my goal. That means it was totally paid for by portrait orders. Yayhoo! (as my four year old would say) I cannot wait to get it and try it out!

Ha! I won one today and I got it for under $100 which was my goal. That means it was totally paid for by portrait orders. Yayhoo! (as my four year old would say) I cannot wait to get it and try it out!

Hehe, i saw a guy selling an old film nikon with this lens on it and i asked if i could just get the lens, i ended up paying $35 :D:D:D:D:D

Most reactions

Back