Worth the $270?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by KAikens318, Apr 17, 2010.

1. KAikens318

KAikens318 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey everyone

Struggling photography student here trying to find a decent portrait lens that is cheap until I can finance a Nikkor or Sigma.

I have been looking at the Rokinon 85mm 1.4. It seems to have pretty good reviews from the people on Overstock.com

Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Portrait Lens for Nikon Cameras | Overstock.com

Does anyone have any experience with this lens or know any that are similar and under $300? Thanks!!

2. DTG

DTG TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271532487&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

This is a steal at $125!

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I have seen and reviewed well over 100 photos shot with that lens on the individual web pages of members of the manual focus forum, as well as a couple of Japanese photography web sites--the lens has surprisingly nice bokeh and a nice drawing style, especially at wider apertures. The way the lens "draws" is much different than any 50mm Nikkor lens--the particular 85mm 1.4 lens you are referring to is actually a pretty respectable performer,and it has been marketed and sold under multiple names in the USA--Vivitar Series 1, Bower, Samyang,and Rokinon. If you search under the "other names", like Vivitar Series 1 and Samyang 85mm 1.4, you will find links that will lead you to many,many sample images--many of them from "bokeh fanatics",and many in Japan, where bokeh and lens drawing style are kind of cult-like things among serious photography enthusiasts. For the $266 overstgock.com is asking, I think the lens is worth that much money.

5. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with Derrel. Well worth it. I am seriously thinking about getting one just play around with manual focus. From all the images I have looked through online, its a winner for sure, and at a basement price. It gives some of the major manufacturers 85mm lenses a run for the money.

6. KAikens318

KAikens318 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. KAikens318

KAikens318 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you guys!!! :) I think I am gonna go for it. I love Nikkor lenses but I have actually had my Sigma and cheaper lenses do a better job sometimes and they are cheaper. My Nikkor 18-55mm I have only had for a year and already the focus sticks so I can't use the automatic focus, and it's been VERY well cared for. This is what I shoot with...

Nikon D80
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8
    Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5
    Sigma 70-300 w/macro 4.0 (Which I LOVE)
    Promaster 28mm 2.8 manual focus
    Opteka 500mm 8.0 (only useful in the daylight but is pretty good when there is adequate lighting.)

I had been looking at a Sigma 105mm 2.8 but they are just a tad over my price range and then I found the Rokinon. I think I am going to get a speedlight made by them as well. With the macro ring it's only $130 or so, can't beat that when you are a poor college student! :)

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
  9. KAikens318

KAikens318 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Wow some of those images on the last link are incredible. I was never a fan of the light bokeh though, I just don't get the point in a picture of colored dots. Lol. But that is just me :D Thanks for sharing those!

10. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit