Worth the upgrade?

Fallingwater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used to photograph quite a bit when I used my old 35MM with interchangeable lens. It was actually my husband's equipment and I honestly didnt pay too much attention to each lens. I just played around and trusted my eye. When digital came out I bought a cheapy 100 dollar cam at Walmart. :mrgreen: I loved the instant gratification. I quickly out grew the camera in 6 months and bought a Canon G6 cuss it was the closest thing I could afford to a SLR. Ive had it about 5 yrs now and when I try to experiment other than auto mode, my pics come out fuzzy or out of focus. My husband feels I have outgrown the camera and thinks I should invest in an SLR where I can change the lens. I would like to upgrade but wondering if I just havent mastered the G6 still. Im a newbie graphic designer and spend more time adjusting others work for my work. I'd like to use more of my own stuff.

Im looking at the Canon EOS XTI 12.2 megapixel. I can get the camera body alone and then add a lens but since I was never really great with that not sure if I should just go with the kit lens to start off with. I like to photograph family, landscapes, and vacations. Hubby said to invest in a Maco cuss I like to experiment with close ups. Ok...any suggestions is much appriecated!

Sounds like you are looking at an XSi at 12.2MP. Either way, I would go body only and look for a deal on a better used lens. Tamron and Sigma lenses are going for very reasonable prices on CL/eBay.

As for macro, the Tamron carries a macro designation although not a true macro lens, but its close up performance is great. At least from a hobbyists perspective.

For the $100 you save going body only, you throw in another $150-200 and get a fast 3rd party zoom (i.e. 24-70/28-75 or 16-50/17-50, etc).

Good luck!

Sounds like you are looking at an XSi at 12.2MP. Either way, I would go body only and look for a deal on a better used lens. Tamron and Sigma lenses are going for very reasonable prices on CL/eBay.

As for macro, the Tamron carries a macro designation although not a true macro lens, but its close up performance is great. At least from a hobbyists perspective.

For the $100 you save going body only, you throw in another $150-200 and get a fast 3rd party zoom (i.e. 24-70/28-75 or 16-50/17-50, etc).

Good luck!

So its not a big deal to stick with Canon lens huh? Ya, with black friday coming, found some sweet deals on body only. Found one for 369.00! A cam with the kit runs between 580 (best price) to 699 at best buy.

Well first of the kit lens for the XSI is not that bad - optics are ok, its focal range is good and it has IS (image stabalization). For a starting lens its a good choice.
After that many people advocate the "nifty fifty" lens - a 50mm f1.8 which is insanly cheap, and yet has good optics and a very fast aperture (a good lens for darker shooting, especially if you can't use flash). Its only downside is its plasticy feel, but honestly unless you throw you lenses about it should last a good while.

From there things get more expensive - good macro lenses are:
Canon - 60mm macro, 100mm macro, 180mm macro
Sigma - 70mm macro, 105mm macro, 150mm macro, 180mm macro
Tamron - 90mm macro

Note that all of those lenses will function on a full frame camera as well except the 60mm from canon, it will work perfectly fine on your XSI but won't move to a fullframe camera. If your not thinking of fullframe in the future then its a great lens to go for,
All the lenses above are proper macro lenses and all are very sharp and will deliver good quality results - I would recomend going for something with a focal range of at least 90mm to start out with since it gives you a greater distance from the subject to work with (which means less chance of spooking the insect - if insects are your thing). Which ever you go for you will get a good lens so its working out the budget you have

Well first of the kit lens for the XSI is not that bad - optics are ok, its focal range is good and it has IS (image stabalization). For a starting lens its a good choice.
After that many people advocate the "nifty fifty" lens - a 50mm f1.8 which is insanly cheap, and yet has good optics and a very fast aperture (a good lens for darker shooting, especially if you can't use flash). Its only downside is its plasticy feel, but honestly unless you throw you lenses about it should last a good while.

From there things get more expensive - good macro lenses are:
Canon - 60mm macro, 100mm macro, 180mm macro
Sigma - 70mm macro, 105mm macro, 150mm macro, 180mm macro
Tamron - 90mm macro

Note that all of those lenses will function on a full frame camera as well except the 60mm from canon, it will work perfectly fine on your XSI but won't move to a fullframe camera. If your not thinking of fullframe in the future then its a great lens to go for,
All the lenses above are proper macro lenses and all are very sharp and will deliver good quality results - I would recomend going for something with a focal range of at least 90mm to start out with since it gives you a greater distance from the subject to work with (which means less chance of spooking the insect - if insects are your thing). Which ever you go for you will get a good lens so its working out the budget you have

Thank you! Since Im not too swift on the lens stuff, I might just go with the lens kit then. Build up from there. I think XTI will be more than enough camera for me for quite a while. Again, thanks for breaking things down for me. :mrgreen:

Its up to you if you feel its worth the upgrade, personally I wouldn't suggest since you said you noly shoot in auto. Auto is fine but when you are going to start spending money on lenses etc I would suggest you learn how to use your cam is once of the more manual modes. It makes the whole shooting much more intimate and you know they are your results, not the cam.

But yeah upgrade if you feel it will help but I would suggest learning to use the manual modes ASAP.

I have a 350D (Rebel XT to the Americans) with a kit lens. The lens was fine when I 1st got it but I have been yearning so badly for the 17-55mm f2.8 that is just way out of my price leauge. It should do you fine, but once you start getting to know your cam better you'll probs want a new lens.

So its not a big deal to stick with Canon lens huh? Ya, with black friday coming, found some sweet deals on body only. Found one for 369.00! A cam with the kit runs between 580 (best price) to 699 at best buy.
Be wary of online camera dealers. Many of them are scam sites. I'd be a little suspicious of a price that low, would you mind saying where you found that deal?

http://www.resellerratings.com/

if you find a website run it through here before trusting :)
and remember big sellers like Amazon tend to sell at the lower end of the price range, finding something way way below what they sell for should start to ring warning bells and warrent more investigation before purchasing.

Be wary of online camera dealers. Many of them are scam sites. I'd be a little suspicious of a price that low, would you mind saying where you found that deal?

I found some great deals at
http://www.1WAYPHOTO.COM

I have not researched their reputation yet. Yes, some of these websites are scams. Some try to sell you out of the country stuff. Believe me, before I plunk down the cash for my camera I will research more throughly. I have dealt with newegg.com quite a bit and had good results. Let me know if you have heard anything good about this 1way photo site.

HI, if you are wanting to get into the graphic arts might I suggest that you stick with lenses that are f/2.8 or lower if you can at all.

You'll hear about fast glass and low light a lot but the key thing in this area to me would be the narrower depth of field. I might be wrong but I suspect that you are wanting to get beyond the Crayola stage. :)

Good luck with your new buddy.

I have a 350D (Rebel XT to the Americans) with a kit lens. The lens was fine when I 1st got it but I have been yearning so badly for the 17-55mm f2.8 that is just way out of my price leauge. It should do you fine, but once you start getting to know your cam better you'll probs want a new lens.
The newer IS kit lens in the Rebel XSi (EOS 450D to you) kit is a little better than the now-discontinued USM kit lens from the Rebel XTi (aka EOS 400D) kit. A possible middle choice between the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens and the $900 EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM would be the $400 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR SP Di-II LD.

Last edited:
I didn't know they had improved the image quality on the newer version of this lens, would ahve been nice to start with a lil better glass, never mind

I'm sure you'll love your choice Fallingwater :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back