Worth the upgrade?

Edward101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys, first post on here so hopefully I have posted in the right section. Just looking for a bit of guidance really.

Currently I've got a Nikon D80 with a Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon Dx 18-135mm and VR 70-300mm lenses. But now as I am getting more serious into photography (hopefully start selling prints soon and I will be studying the subject at university) I think now is the time to upgrade. Im looking at the D700 as I want to stay with Nikon due to the lenses I already have... will these lenses be fine to use on the D700? Would there be much of a benefit for me to even go for the D3?

I will still use the D80 but that will be my back-up camera.

Predominately I take landscape photo's but sometimes also do social documentary so the low light capabilities of the D700 would be a great benefit for me.

Will the D700 be a great camera to have and will last me a long time or is it worth going all out for the D3?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Id use some of that money you have or all of it to buy some really nice glass....

The 70-300mm lens is the only FX lens in your arsenal. While the D700 can use a DX lens, it cuts it down to ~5MB file and seriously cuts down FoV. The D700 is the guts of the D3 in a D300 chassis. Missing is a 100% viewfinder and the built-in battery grip. can't remember if the D3 has two card slots, but you gain the pop up flash which is handy with flash photography and the wireless CLS system out of the box.

Personally, I would look at the D700 and take the $2300 savings towards some proper glass. You've probably heard of the Holy Trinity, 14-24mm, 24-7mm & 70-200mm lenses. I have two of the three and actually my 12-24mm DX does pretty good on the D700, but I usually let ride on the D80 or D300. It does appear that the 24-70mm is out of stock at the main on-line retailers. TBH, I'm really diggin' primes, but also like the convenience factor of zooms.

I don't understand. What is it that the D80 doesn't do for you?
Hmmm, let's see.......... :idea: Full Frame... older technology... horrid ISO performance, weather sealing.... shall I continue? :D

Well I would take the D700 and, yes it will last you awhile. The only reason I want a D700 is for the Higher ISO performance. The 18-135 will be useless on the D700. With the cost savings between the two bodies I would get some better glass with it as well as, others have mentioned.

I don't understand. What is it that the D80 doesn't do for you?
Hmmm, let's see.......... :idea: Full Frame... older technology... horrid ISO performance, weather sealing.... shall I continue? :D

No, but perhaps you can point out for me where those were the OP's concerns. Perhaps you can include a description of why the OP felt that his pictures were inferior because of those limitations. Perhaps you can also quote the OP's words that indicate why a different body will improve his particular photos.

Plato, it seems you've deleted your last response, so to answer, I believe it was the second paragraph where he only mentioned the D700 vs D3. That leans me to thinking he is not after a consumer model.

Ahh, I see you were only editing the response since it now expanded. I don't need to point out anything. He asked a question, I gave an opinion.

Plato, it seems you've deleted your last response, so to answer, I believe it was the second paragraph where he only mentioned the D700 vs D3. That leans me to thinking he is not after a consumer model.

I deleted it because I screwed it up. See the replacement post.

I'm wondering WHY he's not after a consumer model. Hell, his reasons may well be valid but he hasn't really explained.

Of course, after your post and my response, we both know what his next post will be.

I'm wondering WHY he's not after a consumer model. Hell, his reasons may well be valid but he hasn't really explained.
Could be the same reason I went with my upgrades. I wanted it and the price of admission wasn't a hindrance.

EDIT: I feel the need to qualify that last statement. I did loads of research and hand held all my cameras prior to purchasing.

Last edited:
I guess if you have the money, Im in the same boat as you and my upgrade was the D80. Honestly If you are still in school I see no reason to upgrade beyond that. Buy nice glass or lighting and open up some more potential for shots. That body is a waste of money as a student imo.

Could be the same reason I went with my upgrades. I wanted it and the price of admission wasn't a hindrance.

EDIT: I feel the need to qualify that last statement. I did loads of research and hand held all my cameras prior to purchasing.

Of course, it will help the economy.

Since you didn't really mention sports, my opinion would be D700+FX glass with the money you've saved.

Of course the D3s is also an option, it looks like it will have even better high ISO performance than the D700/D3, but who knows what the price will be...

Most reactions

Back