Worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Edward101, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Edward101

Edward101 TPF Noob!

Hi guys, first post on here so hopefully I have posted in the right section. Just looking for a bit of guidance really.

Currently I've got a Nikon D80 with a Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon Dx 18-135mm and VR 70-300mm lenses. But now as I am getting more serious into photography (hopefully start selling prints soon and I will be studying the subject at university) I think now is the time to upgrade. Im looking at the D700 as I want to stay with Nikon due to the lenses I already have... will these lenses be fine to use on the D700? Would there be much of a benefit for me to even go for the D3?

I will still use the D80 but that will be my back-up camera.

Predominately I take landscape photo's but sometimes also do social documentary so the low light capabilities of the D700 would be a great benefit for me.

Will the D700 be a great camera to have and will last me a long time or is it worth going all out for the D3?

Thanks in advance,
    Ed

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  3. Tighearnach

Tighearnach TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Id use some of that money you have or all of it to buy some really nice glass....

4. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't understand. What is it that the D80 doesn't do for you?

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 70-300mm lens is the only FX lens in your arsenal. While the D700 can use a DX lens, it cuts it down to ~5MB file and seriously cuts down FoV. The D700 is the guts of the D3 in a D300 chassis. Missing is a 100% viewfinder and the built-in battery grip. can't remember if the D3 has two card slots, but you gain the pop up flash which is handy with flash photography and the wireless CLS system out of the box.

Personally, I would look at the D700 and take the $2300 savings towards some proper glass. You've probably heard of the Holy Trinity, 14-24mm, 24-7mm & 70-200mm lenses. I have two of the three and actually my 12-24mm DX does pretty good on the D700, but I usually let ride on the D80 or D300. It does appear that the 24-70mm is out of stock at the main on-line retailers. TBH, I'm really diggin' primes, but also like the convenience factor of zooms.

Hmmm, let's see.......... :idea: Full Frame... older technology... horrid ISO performance, weather sealing.... shall I continue? :D

6. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I would take the D700 and, yes it will last you awhile. The only reason I want a D700 is for the Higher ISO performance. The 18-135 will be useless on the D700. With the cost savings between the two bodies I would get some better glass with it as well as, others have mentioned.

7. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, but perhaps you can point out for me where those were the OP's concerns. Perhaps you can include a description of why the OP felt that his pictures were inferior because of those limitations. Perhaps you can also quote the OP's words that indicate why a different body will improve his particular photos.

8. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Plato, it seems you've deleted your last response, so to answer, I believe it was the second paragraph where he only mentioned the D700 vs D3. That leans me to thinking he is not after a consumer model.

Ahh, I see you were only editing the response since it now expanded. I don't need to point out anything. He asked a question, I gave an opinion.

9. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I deleted it because I screwed it up. See the replacement post.

I'm wondering WHY he's not after a consumer model. Hell, his reasons may well be valid but he hasn't really explained.

Of course, after your post and my response, we both know what his next post will be.

10. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Could be the same reason I went with my upgrades. I wanted it and the price of admission wasn't a hindrance.

EDIT: I feel the need to qualify that last statement. I did loads of research and hand held all my cameras prior to purchasing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  11. yogibear

yogibear TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess if you have the money, Im in the same boat as you and my upgrade was the D80. Honestly If you are still in school I see no reason to upgrade beyond that. Buy nice glass or lighting and open up some more potential for shots. That body is a waste of money as a student imo.

12. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Of course, it will help the economy.