Would it be a mistkae to get 50mm f1.4?

Frank M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey,

Been debating whether to pick up another lens lately.

I currently have a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 that I am so happy with that it has made me think about grabbing a Sigma 50mm f1.4.

The question I have (and I know there are plenty of factors that go into this, but I'm specifically looking for YOUR thoughts), considering my current lens covers 50mm at f2.8, is it worth grabbing the f1.4?

The reason it isn't an automatic yes is because I own a Canon 50mm f1.8, which, quite honestly, I am pretty satisfied with considering the price. Though, I really do not like the handling of the lens for video work...the focus ring is just not to my liking.

Having said that, I much prefer the size of the Sigma, the better bokeh, better contrast levels, etc.

If I didn't have the Canon, I would have pulled the trigger on this without hesitation, now I'm not so sure.

What are your opinions? Stick with the Canon and put the dollars into an additional lens or ditch the Canon and grab the Sigma?

Sounds to me like you already have it covered, what maybe 1 f stop difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The optical quality alone is worth the upgrade. Granted with video you don't notice it as much Given the smaller resolution.

I shoot with the canon 50mm 1.4 and frankly I never shoot wide open as its a chore trying to manually focus with such a small DOF using the LCD.

Thanks for the responses.

I have shot with my F1.8 wide open, but I'm with you runnah, I'm not sure I would need to shoot wide open with the f1.4, but I also agree the optical improvement of the Sigma is worth it.

I guess my main concern is as luckychunky said, I'm on the fence as to whether I need that extra ability open up over my 17-50 f2.8.

Pretty much the only reason to get a Sigma f/1.4 is for really low light photography and that you shoot at that aperture regularly. If shooting wide open is a mainstay of your photography, then certainly the resolving power of the new Art lens is a worthwhile investment. If not, then you're not really gaining much with 2/3rds of a stop more light, over your Canon 50mm f/1.8 MKII.

Unless it's going to cause you to not eat for a while, then, IMO, getting additional glass is NEVER a mistake.

tirediron that's funny.

Thanks guys for the responses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back