Would it be crazy to swap....

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As of right now, I have two separate setups.....

My DF with 28-105 3.5-4.5 afd + 50 mm 1.8 g
and
My Nex 7 with 18-200 4.5-6.3 and a 50 mm 1.8

Lets be honest and say, my sony never makes it out of the bag any more and I am keeping it as a backup camera. I do, pull it out once in a while and use it for water drops, mostly because, the lens is the best fit. The 10 FPS is also nice, as well as focus peaking, but I'm starting to wonder if its *that* nice since water drops are completely staged anyways. If I ever needed to use it as a backup camera, it still has the same issues that drove me to Nikon in the first place. AF too slow for the kids, and it just hunts and hunts in low light.

Obviously, I am missing reach with my nikon setup. My dreams of a nice 70-200 are halted for the year, and since I am not having an issue shooting the kids on their bikes, I am okay with not having a fast sports lens.

Im toying with the idea of sending the sony setup into KEH, honestly it isn't worth that much but based on their calculator, I think I could get a used D3100 with something like a 70-300 or an older dedicated macro depending on what I decide I want more.

I haven't used either 50 in months. The sony 50, probably in the last year, and the nikon's 50 has been bagged since I picked up the 28-105. Obviously, I don't need 2 50's......Im half tempted to ditch them both, but I am sure I would regret that later. ;-)

So is it crazy to ditch the Nex7 for something like a D3100 and a lower end lens? The 18-200 was quite expensive, but It definitely has its share of faults..... Im not sure what to expect from Nikon's 70-300. If its at least the same, then does the switch make sense?

Or am I (quite possible) suffering from gear boredom and I should just leave things as is and let it pass?....

Last edited:
I would sell the NEX kit and pick up a 24mm f/2.8 AF-D and 85mm f/1.8 AF-S. I tried out the Df with the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 and that is also a nice combination.

I have the 70-300mm VR and it is not that big of lens and would balance well on the Df. At the longer end I stop down to f/8 for a bit more sharpness, but often stay at f/5.6 if it is something like a portrait shot.

I think the D3100 is a big step down in viewfinder clarity/usability. Nikon has been enlarging the viewfinder magnification in the newer 3xxx models...the 3100 is a lot like looking through a tunnel. I see no reason to buy a D3100 when you have a Df. You quite possibly do have some gear boredom.

Buy something used if you want another lens. 70-300 VR lenses are cheap on the used market.

I would sell the NEX kit and pick up a 24mm f/2.8 AF-D and 85mm f/1.8 AF-S. I tried out the Df with the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 and that is also a nice combination.

I have the 70-300mm VR and it is not that big of lens and would balance well on the Df. At the longer end I stop down to f/8 for a bit more sharpness, but often stay at f/5.6 if it is something like a portrait shot.
I don't really need either of the focal lengths you suggested, and I'm just not a huge fan of primes to be honest. I know they have their place, but for those focal lengths I am very happy with my 28-105 right now.

Thanks for the review on the 70-300! I'm glad to hear it's a decent option if I go ahead and try for a trade in.

I think the D3100 is a big step down in viewfinder clarity/usability. Nikon has been enlarging the viewfinder magnification in the newer 3xxx models...the 3100 is a lot like looking through a tunnel. I see no reason to buy a D3100 when you have a Df. You quite possibly do have some gear boredom.

Buy something used if you want another lens. 70-300 VR lenses are cheap on the used market.
I'm thinking more in terms of backup if I ever need to send the df in. So I'm more hoping to compare IT to the nex7 than the df, if that makes sense. The only reason the df is in the equation is because I would be able to share lenses. So is it a step down from the nex7? Or a side step?

You can buy a D40 for $99 as a backup, in case your brand-new Df craps out. Well...at least in my area, one can buy a D40 for $99 with battery,charger,and a memory card for $99. I dunno...NEX-7 vs D3200...seems like a wash to me, each one being better at some things than the other. Not sure why the Sony is not making it out of the camera bag any more, so I dunno...think it would be easier to maintain just one, active camera system. I just watched a review of the NEXT 7 with the 18-200mm OSS Sony lens...it looks very awkward, that tiny little camera hanging off the back of that big lens.

think it would be easier to maintain just one, active camera system.
Seconded.

My backup for my D600 is a D5100 and if Nikon ever gets around making a good full frame DSLR that convinces me the D600 will be the backup.

One setup is easier alright, if Nikon you get your 2 apparent fov between crop and ff filling your sensor.

I have a m43 setup as well as Nikon. I often find myself wishing for a certain lens on the m43 but have it already covered on Nikon, the m43 was initially for holidays or travel light days.

I also have a d,3100 and it has a small view finder but I quite like it, it's a small capable camera, though even a small upgrade to the d3200 yields you a better sensor.

On the 70-300, don't overlook the tamron vc model if you decide to go that way, it is a good Nikon alternative

My backup for my D600 is a D5100 and if Nikon ever gets around making a good full frame DSLR that convinces me the D600 will be the backup.
Ooops.

Okay - thats not exactly what I wanted to say.

Obviously the D600 convinced me ... but it wasnt the exciting product, just the one thats reasonable to get. The D750 is much closer to what I want, but still not "there". I am mostly annoyed by the fact they made the shutter LOUDER, and that the D750 has the better AF system, but still not the same amount of AF coverage as the D8x0 and D4* cameras.

So now I kind of hope for a camera from Nikon that does everything "right".

Might as well be the next D8x0, if they add a tilting screen and U1/U2 quick access modes. Getting ISO 64 and 1/8000 sec shutter speed isnt exactly something I would complain about.

You can buy a D40 for $99 as a backup, in case your brand-new Df craps out. Well...at least in my area, one can buy a D40 for $99 with battery,charger,and a memory card for $99. I dunno...NEX-7 vs D3200...seems like a wash to me, each one being better at some things than the other. Not sure why the Sony is not making it out of the camera bag any more, so I dunno...think it would be easier to maintain just one, active camera system. I just watched a review of the NEXT 7 with the 18-200mm OSS Sony lens...it looks very awkward, that tiny little camera hanging off the back of that big lens.
I guess sony has me paranoid. It should have gone in under warranty, but they told me it was a 6 week turnaround and I didn't want to be without a camera that long, so I never sent it. Now I'd like to be sure I always have a backup. I'll look into the d40. I really don't know a thing about that one. The used d3100 are >200 used, and I thought the sensor was newish.....

The 200 IS a big lens for such a tiny camera. Sometimes I forget how small the NEX really is. Lol.

think it would be easier to maintain just one, active camera system.
Seconded.

The d600 would make quite the backup! Lol. I'm thinking I actually would prefer a crop sensor though, as it gives me a little bit of an edge DOF wise for my water drop adventures.
One setup is easier alright, if Nikon you get your 2 apparent fov between crop and ff filling your sensor.

I have a m43 setup as well as Nikon. I often find myself wishing for a certain lens on the m43 but have it already covered on Nikon, the m43 was initially for holidays or travel light days.

I also have a d,3100 and it has a small view finder but I quite like it, it's a small capable camera, though even a small upgrade to the d3200 yields you a better sensor.

On the 70-300, don't overlook the tamron vc model if you decide to go that way, it is a good Nikon alternative

I always seem to bring my nikon to gatherings, since I usually want the low light capabilities.

As for lenses, I'll check out the tamron. I had a tamron years ago for my canon, but it was mostly terrible. I hear they have improved, but I'm still a little leery of them!

I would honestly avoid the living daylights out of the low end lenses. So much chromatic aberration, kinda fuzzy, low contrast, etc.

not sure why you are looking at cameras as old as the d3100 when you have a nex7 and lenses to sell...
ebay has the nex7 (24mp) selling body only $350-$400.
im not sure what 18-200 lens you have...is it for the sony alpha cameras or is it a nikon lens adapted?
the nikon 18-200 VR lens is going for ~$300.
the sony nex 18-200 OSS lens is going for ~400

between the nex7 and the zoom lens you should clear enough via private sale to grab a low miles D7000 or possibly even a D7100.
you could also go a little lower on the budget and easily get a 24mp D3200.

not sure why you are looking at cameras as old as the d3100 when you have a nex7 and lenses to sell...
ebay has the nex7 (24mp) selling body only $350-$400.
im not sure what 18-200 lens you have...is it for the sony alpha cameras or is it a nikon lens adapted?
the nikon 18-200 VR lens is going for ~$300.
the sony nex 18-200 OSS lens is going for ~400

between the nex7 and the zoom lens you should clear enough via private sale to grab a low miles D7000 or possibly even a D7100.
you could also go a little lower on the budget and easily get a 24mp D3200.
I'm going off of KEH'S online quote. The trouble is, the body isn't worth much. The rear rubber grip is missing, and I haven't been able to order a replacement. Sony just tells me to send it in to a third party repair shop for help. And there is a huge spot on the sensor that will. Not. come. Off.

The lenses look to be in great shape, but I was having focus issues with the 18-200 where I couldn't manually focus or autofocus. I haven't had it happen in a while, but it's not something I would want to sell to a person. It just wouldn't feel ethical.....

My backup camera is my Canon Powershot s110 - it's awesome as a point and shoot. Shoots in raw, and produces wonderful images.
It is also small enough to fit in the bottom of a gear bag and cheap enough to only get used as a backup.

I would say get rid of the NEX system, sell your 50 and see what you have left over for what you need. You will be closer to your goal of a 70-200 if you maximize your sales now rather than watch them depreciate in a few months time :)

I went from a D40 to a D3100. I think it was a downgrade...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back