Would it be crazy to swap....

Maybe I should have said, it felt like a waste of money.

I wanted video so I went with the D3100 when it came out, but never really used it to take that many videos. There were slightly improvements between the two, double the MP for one, but I never really saw a huge improvement in IQ. I actually kinda like the shots I took with that old CCD sensor.

I basically went from the current entry level camera at the time, to the current entry level camera of the time dropping $700 in the process and losing the IR remote.

I had the gummy bear D3100 before and got some nice birds with it but in warm or hot weather and warm hands it was the worst camera I have ever held. After holding it for any length of time my hands where so sticky that I actually thought about peeling the grippy chit off.Never had a problem with the D7000 or D90.On that note,a back up to the DF the D3100 is not one I would recommend.

Last edited:
What will your budget be after selling your nex7 kit?

A 85mm f2.8 pc-e would give you ample dof for your water drops.

Is the 85 a macro? The only macros I have come across are 50-60's and then 90/105. Part of the issue is minium focusing distance. I have a "macro" lens, but the MFD is something like 4 inches? So I end up with water drops all over the lens every time.

I probably have too tall of an order here. If I am lucky, I'll get about $700 for the setup. I want "what I have now" only in Nikon, for pretty close to an even trade. So I need 1) a way to do macro and get at least as good of results as I'm getting now 2) a longer lens and 3) a backup body (doesn't have to be fancy) just in case I need to send my main body in for any reason.

To check all three boxes, I am also considering a long lens with some extention tubes, or getting the long lens and then a teleconverter for my 28-105 "macro" lens so that I can get the MDF away from the drops....

Is the 85 a macro? The only macros I have come across are 50-60's and then 90/105. Part of the issue is minium focusing distance. I have a "macro" lens, but the MFD is something like 4 inches? So I end up with water drops all over the lens every time.

I probably have too tall of an order here. If I am lucky, I'll get about $700 for the setup. I want "what I have now" only in Nikon, for pretty close to an even trade. So I need 1) a way to do macro and get at least as good of results as I'm getting now 2) a longer lens and 3) a backup body (doesn't have to be fancy) just in case I need to send my main body in for any reason.

To check all three boxes, I am also considering a long lens with some extention tubes, or getting the long lens and then a teleconverter for my 28-105 "macro" lens so that I can get the MDF away from the drops....

Yes it's a macro but also out of your budget by 2x. Maybe get lucky and find a sigma 150mm f2.8 macro for under 1k used.

My advice is always to make your budget then save a few hundred more, lol.

Yes it's a macro but also out of your budget by 2x. Maybe gray lucky and find a sigma 150mm f2.8 macro for under 1k used.
I am looking at a sigma macro, and the tamron 70-300. I could get both used but then I couldn't get a body. So I have to decide "what gives" here and prioritize, which may take months! Hahaha.

Most reactions

Back