Would love some CC on these toddler photos

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Luth34, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Luth34

Luth34 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks in advance for the critique. Please be as honest and harsh as possible so I can continue to get better and look at my shots with a better eye. I am quite new and wanting to keep getting better with this little hobby. While my family feels they are great, I just think they underwhelm and I am not getting the hang of it like I want to.

Sorry if there are glaring beginner errors, but I have read so much information online that seems to contradict itself, so these seem to be all over the place in terms of quality. These are the types of shots I generally take along with a lot of indoor ones that tend to come out a bit worse. I would say most of the time I am taking family shots during the day as much as possible to capture fun memories.

Lastly, none of these have been edited at all. They are JPEGs straight out of the camera. I shoot RAW as well, but have not started any sort of post learning, so any useful links would also be much appreciated. I am using an Olympus O-MD E-M10.

[​IMG]
    Info: 1/1600 F/6.3 37mm iso 200

[​IMG]
    Info: 1/4000 F/6.3 26mm ISO 1250

[​IMG]
    1/4000 f/7.1 31 mm iso 640

[​IMG]
    Info: 1/1600 f/9 36mm iso 200

These were taken in a covered tunnel. I was wondering what needed to be done to make them less blurry overall, if anything. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    1/40 f/6.3 24mm iso 1600

[​IMG]
    1/50 F/6.3 31mm iso 1600

-Cameron

2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Well they are not numbered but I'll comment on some.

The first one-time no one really wants to see rubbish/garbage bins in a background so try get nicer backgrounds.

The second one is very nice imo

The third one might work better with the people looking at the camera, the 4th needs to lose the shadow.

The only advice I'd give again is watch the frame, backgrounds etc and try get eye contact with your subject. Sometimes it's nice to have a bigger background to tell a story but often it's better to fill the frame more with your subject.

3. jaomul

Photos OK to edit
    I just noticed also that you are using high grade stop numbers (small apertures). If you specifically want to show the background this is good, but if you want to isolate your subject a little bigger numbers (smaller aperture) might work better for you. I'm assuming you have a 14-42mm lens. I'd keep the focal length as long as possible and the aperture as large as possible

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Technical issues aside the first 4 are snapshots, nice remembrances but that's about it. The 5th one actually is pretty decent. The chalk, the background it all ties in with the toddler. I might try to crop in tighter, or even do a portrait orientation. I would have difficulty hand holding a shot at such a slow shutter speed. I would have opened up the aperture and or raised the ISO to get up to at least 1/125. The last one you didn't pay attention to the background (ugly seam) or framing (cut off his feet)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Cute subject. I don't see anything wrong with taking snapshots or posting them for critique. That is 90% of what you're going to be shooting with a toddler anyway. The occasional posed shoot is great too but improving your candid skills so that you can capture these beautiful memories is definitely a step in the right direction.

I agree with jaomul to open up the lens a bit to try to get some background separation and make your subjects pop. Also, the best advice I was ever given was before you hit that shutter - look all around the frame. Make sure you're not cutting off important parts or letting something unwanted into your shot. In that first photo, if you had been at or below f/4 and not cut off his feet, you could have cropped out those trash barrels and had a really cute shot.

Not sure about the options on your specific camera but I've found it helpful when taking candids indoors to set the aperture where I want it, set the shutter speed to at least 1/125 and use Auto ISO - or if you're in good light set it to Aperture priority and ISO 200 and let the camera choose the shutter speed.

For great help and tips taking toddler photos and candids of children, Clickin Moms is a pretty good group to check out.

6. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with what many of the other posters have said, and having kids is a great reason to work on improving your photography!

What setting on your camera are you using to take your pictures? Based on the almost random settings for each situation, I'd guess you are probably using AUTO mode. I think that a big step in improving your pictures will be learning about how to get good exposures in other modes so that you can control things like depth of field and shutter speed. Thoughtful decisions in settings like that will go a long ways.

Keep using your camera! You'll only get better along the way.

7. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    #1. snapshot. poorly framed, bad background, missed focus.
    #2. snapshot. good framing, great expressions, missed focus.
    #3. snapshot. subject is the guy's arm.
    #4. snapshot. poor exposure, poor framing, poor expression. casting a shadow into the picture. missed focus.
    #5. concept is good, execution is poor. way too low of shutter, motion blur introduced. subject isn't plying along. some of the writing on the wall isn't ideal for this.
    #6. going back to a snapshot here. odd angle. bad framing (cropped off feet). poor technique again (low shutter speed, missed focus).

8. jaomul

Photos OK to edit
    Bit harsh on the newbies aren't we

9. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    no. it's not harsh whatsoever; it's critique.

here's does this help:

ohhh your baby is sooooooooooooo cute. keep at it!

10. jaomul

Photos OK to edit
    No that doesn't help either. It's just when someone is new a blunt putdown on all shots might not encourage them to come back, and the more active members the better the forum will be.

It's your decision how to critique, but if someone handed you six photos in person would you just point out a load of faults or would you talk to them in a more constructive manner?

11. Braineack

Photos OK to edit
    pointing out faults is constructive.

12. jaomul

Photos OK to edit

Ok then