Would love some critiques and advice ........

Kimberly81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If some of you could take a look at a few of my photos and let me know what you think, how I can improve, etc. I would really appreciate it. I have only had my camera for about 5 days. I really love natural light but I don't quite have it down yet.

2648872644_17c041ed23_o.jpg

2648042183_7dc7f1e7a2_o.jpg

2648040769_0ab3f7e518_o.jpg

2653573402_c6f70d5570_o.jpg

2653573016_246e3cf418_o.jpg

2653572796_161b1ba7ca_o.jpg

2654266866_e4a4a9d062_o.jpg

2653441039_c2dfae14d8_o.jpg

2653438335_f312173902_o.jpg

2653437857_5fcd0d52fb_o.jpg

2653438081_cf789f44f3_o.jpg

Last edited:
Those are very nice, especially since you are just learning your camera.
Most of them are properly exposed and the composition is appropriate.
So good job.

Just a couple little things on the side. To get comments and critiques about your pictures, you should post in the photo galleries section. In this particular case, the people gallery would be appropriate.

Also, try numbering your pictures. This will make it much easier for us to critique single shots!

Those are very nice, especially since you are just learning your camera.
Most of them are properly exposed and the composition is appropriate.
So good job.

Just a couple little things on the side. To get comments and critiques about your pictures, you should post in the photo galleries section. In this particular case, the people gallery would be appropriate.

Also, try numbering your pictures. This will make it much easier for us to critique single shots!

Thanks so much! I will go back and number them. I have also posted some photos in the "people" section and the "black and white" section. I will go back and number them all, that makes more sense now that you mention it lol.

Thanks

C&C per req:
In addition to numbering them (thank-you for doing that), may I also suggest that you size your images to a maximum of 800 pixels on the longest edge to eliminate the need for scrolling? As well, effective critique takes time, sometimes 1-2 minutes per image. When many images are posted, it's difficult to provide the appropriate level of critique to all of them. I would recommend limiting your posts to 5-6 images at a time.
1. A good pose, and overall good exposure, but watch the highlights along her back and hair. There are large blown areas which are very distracting. As well, the tips of her fingers and toes are cropped; just enough to make me believe that it was accidental. Be careful of this in your composition and cropping.

2. Very nice, but again cropped toes and elbow detract from the overall quality of the image.

3. I like the expression, and good conversion, but it's a bit rich in mid-tones. I'd suggest a slight levels/curves tweak or an increase in contrast.

4. Really nice, although I'm not fond of angled shots. One suggestion, an off-camera flash or reflector could have been used to add some catchlights to her eyes; they're good, but a little 'flat' looking.

5. Nice, but in this case, about 1/2 - 1 stop underexposed, with dark shadow areas around her face.

6. Wonderful; perhaps just slightly bright, and previous comments about angles apply.
7. This one doesn't work for me. The pose is too forced, and the angle isn't complimentary. Also, watch your use of diverging lines. In this case the 'Y' in the sidwalk draws the eye out of the picture.

8. Not fond of this one, however that's a personal thing.

9. Nice conversion, good pose, I like the 'attitude'. Perhaps drop the brightness on her shirt 1/2 stop however.

10. Really nice; again, careful what gets cropped off.

11. Very nice, love the expression and composition of this one. Again the angle thing, but if that works for you, good.

Overall, some really nice work there. You've done a good job on most of the basics with just a few nit-picky suggestions, which I hope will help you with your future work. Looking forward to more.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:
In addition to numbering them (thank-you for doing that), may I also suggest that you size your images to a maximum of 800 pixels on the longest edge to eliminate the need for scrolling? As well, effective critique takes time, sometimes 1-2 minutes per image. When many images are posted, it's difficult to provide the appropriate level of critique to all of them. I would recommend limiting your posts to 5-6 images at a time.
1. A good pose, and overall good exposure, but watch the highlights along her back and hair. There are large blown areas which are very distracting. As well, the tips of her fingers and toes are cropped; just enough to make me believe that it was accidental. Be careful of this in your composition and cropping.

2. Very nice, but again cropped toes and elbow detract from the overall quality of the image.

3. I like the expression, and good conversion, but it's a bit rich in mid-tones. I'd suggest a slight levels/curves tweak or an increase in contrast.

4. Really nice, although I'm not fond of angled shots. One suggestion, an off-camera flash or reflector could have been used to add some catchlights to her eyes; they're good, but a little 'flat' looking.

5. Nice, but in this case, about 1/2 - 1 stop underexposed, with dark shadow areas around her face.

6. Wonderful; perhaps just slightly bright, and previous comments about angles apply.
7. This one doesn't work for me. The pose is too forced, and the angle isn't complimentary. Also, watch your use of diverging lines. In this case the 'Y' in the sidwalk draws the eye out of the picture.

8. Not fond of this one, however that's a personal thing.

9. Nice conversion, good pose, I like the 'attitude'. Perhaps drop the brightness on her shirt 1/2 stop however.

10. Really nice; again, careful what gets cropped off.

11. Very nice, love the expression and composition of this one. Again the angle thing, but if that works for you, good.

Overall, some really nice work there. You've done a good job on most of the basics with just a few nit-picky suggestions, which I hope will help you with your future work. Looking forward to more.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

WONDERFUL!!! This is exactly what I am looking for thank you!

For catch lights would a round reflector work for this?

Also how do I adjust the exposure on my D40? I am not yet familiar with how to manually adjust my settings.

Thanks again.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great job on the basics of the photos, etc. (I am sure someone with more authority have more input on the technicalities).

The only thing that I feel could be improved upon is the poses of the young models. I feel like the first set of images (1-6) have captured a much younger girl in teenage or older poses. Images 7, 8 was right on by capturing that candid quality of childhood which I feel is thoroughly important in taking children's portraits.

Great job on the basics of the photos, etc. (I am sure someone with more authority have more input on the technicalities).

The only thing that I feel could be improved upon is the poses of the young models. I feel like the first set of images (1-6) have captured a much younger girl in teenage or older poses. Images 7, 8 was right on by capturing that candid quality of childhood which I feel is thoroughly important in taking children's portraits.
Yeah she is kinda old for her age lol, she is 6 going on 16. I generally just tell her "give me something pretty" or "give me something cute" and she does the rest haha. She has an interview with a modeling agency next week. She is a ham. You never know what she is going to do, sometimes she is funny, sometimes she is dramatic. Example of her unpredictable poses:

2655140448_0c2b08ef79_o.jpg

2655140282_c06e60cdc9_o.jpg

2654313479_9c5e27a592_o.jpg

1st and 3rd of that is darling. Oh the influences of mass media D: I have a feeling she watches shows like Hanna Montana

Cute! I wish her luck on her auditions. She is a gorgeous child, will be a heart breaker when she is older...and will take age suitable pictures :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back