TheKenTurner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello TPF!

I have Canon's 17-85mm f/4-5.6, and have found myself in a lot of low-light situations. After some "research" (browsing B&H), I have come across Sigma's 17-70mm f/2.8-4. This lens would obviously be better in low light, and I don't need those extra 15mm. When looking at the lens, it just looks cheaply built compared to what I have now, and I'm not sure if the IQ will decrease. Do any of you have experience with this lens or any other Sigma lenses in the same price range? I guess Nikon users could theoretically answer this too.

I have the older Sigma 17-70 non HSM, non OS. I use it for almost everything and I love it. The build quality is good although i can't compare it to an L lens since the only experience I have with one is that I saw one once... My biggest complaint is that if you point it down and don't have the zoom lock on, it will extend and likewise if it is zoomed out to say 50mm and you point it up, it will go back to 17mm. Other than that issue, I really like the lens.

Edit: i should also mention that my older version is f/2.8-4.5 not 2.8-4 like the newer one.

idk. how much will one lousy stop do? If you had a Sony, I'd say a lot since handheld at 1/30 is very doable while below 1/15 it starts getting tricky very rapidly. But I'm just not sure you'll really see that much of a gain between 2.8 and 4 w/o IS. I think if I had reservations about build quality and IQ then I'd just stick with the Canon.

The 2.8-4 (newer one) does has IS and USM ( called OS and HSM respectively). I do tend to agree that 1 stop isn't a huge difference though.

Looks like it has both IS and USM. Each lens has something that the other doesn't so ultimately you will have to decide what is most important for you OP. The Canon has the extra zoom, and full time manual focusing. The Sigma has 1 stop bigger aperture, and is macro capable.

Thanks, guys! So I guess I'll just stick with the 17-85. But does sigma have good quality glass?

-ken Turner

Thanks, guys! So I guess I'll just stick with the 17-85. But does sigma have good quality glass?

-ken Turner

Yes, Sigma does make lenses that are worth buying. I shoot a lot of my photos with the Sigma 85mm f/1.4. A lot of people like the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, as well as the 70-200mm f/2.8 OS. I'd probably only buy Primes from Sigma, but that's just me (and the fact that I shoot w/ only primes).

-ken Turner

Yes, Sigma does make lenses that are worth buying. I shoot a lot of my photos with the Sigma 85mm f/1.4. A lot of people like the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, as well as the 70-200mm f/2.8 OS. I'd probably only buy Primes from Sigma, but that's just me (and the fact that I shoot w/ only primes).

I love the sigma 10-20mm wide angle zoom as well. The only complaints I've ever heard with sigma is that occasionally you can get a bad one, as their quality control seems to be a bit less 'tight' than Nikon and Canon. But I'd say for 90%+ of them, they easily hold their own with the comparable first party lenses.

You can prob avoid the quality issues by buying used, as the lemmons would have alreadby been returned to the manufacturer for repair or refund.

You can prob avoid the quality issues by buying used, as the lemmons would have alreadby been returned to the manufacturer for repair or refund.

Sad but not necessarily true. Many of those who own bodies with MA built in tend to keep the lens if within the range of adjustment. For this reason and Sigma's track record in loose quality control, I would be extremely careful buying them used.

Sad but not necessarily true. Many of those who own bodies with MA built in tend to keep the lens if within the range of adjustment. For this reason and Sigma's track record in loose quality control, I would be extremely careful buying them used.

Yeah, this is why I buy from Amazon. Easiest exchange policy around. God help you if you buy a 2 year old used Sigma off ebay or whatever else site and then you find out it's 'off' in some way.

Hmm. Thanks for your input, Steve.

I know what you mean, fjrabon - I recently bought a 28mm Minolta on ebay with a sluggish aperture. It was just easier for me to fix it than to return it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your input! I've been extremely busy, but I got some time to play around with my camera this evening. I was testing my 50mm at f/2.8, and f4, and it seems like f/2.8 takes either half the shutter speed or half the ISO to get the same exposure. I think I'm going to go with the 17-70.

Have you guys gotten any sticky zoom lenses from Sigma? Is there a way to fix it?

-ken Turner

Most reactions

Back