Would This be good for Model Lighting?

To be brutually honest, that looks like junk to me. Continuous lighting is not really suitable for people (although I do like for young children and pets as some tend to be scared of the pop of the strobe). It will cost you a LOT more, but in the long run you'll be a LOT happier with a couple of Alienbee or similar strobes.

If the budget doesn't support $500 - 700 right now, check out Craig's List, eBay, etc, and see if you can find a couple of old flashes like the Vivitar 283 and then spend some time at the Strobist.

Thanks for the feedback. The appeal is these are 100, another 25 or so for lights. No way can I do 400 or more for lights to play with - which honestly is what I'd be doing.

Since I have NO expertise in light placement, etc I assume I'd be spending more time adjusting flashes and placement than I would actually on shooting.

These hold up to four 85W flourescent bulbs - you don't think even two of these would be enough?

It's not really a matter of 'enough'. Check out the blog to which I posted the link above. Don't forget, look for USED gear. Used gear is your friend!

Look at the Adorama Flashpoint monolight flashes...user-replaceable flash tubes, modeling lamps, very affordable price of $129 with a stand and an umbrella...I would MUCH rather have lower priced monolights than lower priced continuous lights...I am totally,totally NOT sold on fluorescent lights...I'd much rather have the motion-stopping ability of flash, and also its daylight color balance. The 150 watt-second Flashpoint monos would be a good start.

For $139 they have a 150 w monolight - is that enough to expect decent lighting?

And I assume it'd be better to get two of those instead of ONE 150 w light (which are $229 each) for placement purposes?

REALLY appreciate this feedback. I was going to go down to Robert's today and buy the flourescent light - but may hold off.

I guess I just like the 'comfort' of seeing where the light is going instead of trial and error with the flash. I don't even use on camera flash, but want to get into the studio stuff, so that was my reasoning for continuous lighting.

Well, the FLashpoint monolights have modeling lamps in them, so you can "see" the light's effect, and where the catchlights are placed. Yes, 150 watt-seconds is ample light with a modern d-slr. And yes, I agree, TWO of the lower-priced monolights would make a very good starter kit...it's better to have two, or even three lights, than one really powerful light.

I am much more "sold on" strobes (studio flash units) than I am on the fluoro continuous lights, which demand slow exposures...models cannot move....you cannot stop motion with continuous lights of that power class, so leaps, jumps, hair flips,all that stuff is out of the question with continuous lights of that power class.

well my advice would be to wait until you have more money. I hastley bought a flourescent constant lighting kit with backdrops. and it works alright, but you will not have much control of them. with a strobe system you have a lot more control and quality. and the reason to have a studio is to control lighting which you won't have much ability to with a cheap flourescent kit. maybe even just buying a hotshoe flash would be a better decision right now because to tell you the truth, cheap lights like that won't teach you much about lighting if your purpose is just to mess around and learn

again, appreciate the feedback. Think I'll take the advise given and go for the strobes.

But to clarify, a couple of 150 w strobes for 300w is going to be better than a 4-bulb head continuous cool lighting at 1000 w (4-85w bulbs)? I'm pretty sure i know the answer to that (just a little slow) - just checking because two four-bulb heads with the 85 w flourescents and a 30" octagon softbox is about $300.

You could do what I did, which is buy a cheap set of wireless triggers ( about $70 for one trigger with two recievers ). I already had one flash for my camera and went out and bought another for the second reciever. Now I have two strobes that are VERY portable, and can also be used quickly and easily in other applications like handheld off camera for macro shots or whatnot. If you already have a decent TTL flash maybe this would be a better route to go. Buy the triggers and a cheap lightstand/umbrella kit. Then when you get more cash, pick up a second flash. I liked this because I am more into the outside flash portrait with low ambient light type shots. SO I needed something portable. Granted you can get portable alienbees, but you will not only pay out the nose for the strobes, but also pay out the nose for the battery packs and will STILL need some way to trigger them unless you are going to use them as slaves.

EDIT: Before anyone freaks out, I should add, that I am in no way saying this is a BETTER set up than high dollar strobes, but I am saying it is more economical for a beginner and also more flexible. Its portability was also a nice plus. I would also think its easier to re-sell a ttl flash than a dirt cheap monolight should you find that you are not that into strobist type photography.

That looks like a nice kit! Now you just need a way to trigger those... I dont think they come with PC cord.

But may I suggest these: Cactus V4 Radio Slave Set
And then fire the other strobe optically with its " built-in Photo-Slave"

EDIT:Oh.. They do have a 12' sync cord but I would still go with a radio trigger.

Most reactions

Back