Would this bother you?

Karalee said:
MDowdey said:
there are other ways to get your point across.

md

Speaking of, when my dad realised he was hitting me for ridiculous reasons, he started making me stand with my nose against the wall on one foot. It still works the same as smacking a child.
Give it ten years and that'll be classed as mental bullying.

The world is too PC.

(I think I just gave away my views on smacking there didn't I?)

Parenting is hard and kids don't come with instructions. I was very lucking to have figured out how to handle my kids since I was so young. My kids are 16, 16, 15 and 12 and are 4 of the most well behaved, polite kids I know. They have had lots of love and consistency. When truly deserving, they've all had a spankin or 2 in their lives but not many and never administered by an angry parent. Sometimes Mom and Dad need a time out before deciding and administering the punishment on particularly bad behavior. My husband and I are fair but tough parents so, when they have misbehaved, they have spent time in their rooms, stood in corners and ran laps around the block. I know that sound silly but it's really worked. In our house, you're either going to be smart or strong. Thankfully our kids learned early that the rewards are great for becoming good people.

core_17 said:
photogoddess said:
. My kids are 16, 16, 15 and 12 and are 4 of the most well behaved, polite kids I know.

Twins? Now you've GOT to respect a mother of twin 16 year olds!

Thanks! :p Actually they are step siblings - 3 weeks apart in age. :p One of the 16 year olds is mine by birth, the other 3 by marriage. The oldest were 4 when we got together so I've had them all of their lives. 8)

photogoddess said:
In our house, you're either going to be smart or strong.

I love that. It seems to me like no discipline in the world is going to work without respect to back it up. I can tell just by the way you talk that you're an awesome parent. I hope I turn out to be the same.

MDowdey said:
Karalee said:
MDowdey said:

md

Speaking of, when my dad realised he was hitting me for ridiculous reasons, he started making me stand with my nose against the wall on one foot. It still works the same as smacking a child.

and you came out fine and well adjusted!!! well..... :twisted:

md

Yeah well... Some days I wonder :roll:

:lmao:

You may know me too well

ferny said:
Karalee said:
MDowdey said:

md

The world is too PC.

(I think I just gave away my views on smacking there didn't I?)

Here Here! Somtimes I just can not beleive the lengths we have to go, just to make sure no one in the entire world could ever possibly be offended....

But thats a whole other beast...

:D

photogoddess said:
Sometimes Mom and Dad need a time out before deciding and administering the punishment on particularly bad behavior

Funny you say that! Aubrey and I were talking about this thread today and I said the SAME thing. It gets to a point where you are so overwhelmed that you can easily do or say somthing that you can regret. Much easier to take 5 minutes to let your thoughts calm down and figure out what you are going to do.

AlisonS said:
photogoddess said:
Sometimes Mom and Dad need a time out before deciding and administering the punishment on particularly bad behavior

Funny you say that! Aubrey and I were talking about this thread today and I said the SAME thing. It gets to a point where you are so overwhelmed that you can easily do or say somthing that you can regret. Much easier to take 5 minutes to let your thoughts calm down and figure out what you are going to do.

Yeah - it's amazing at how much clearer things look after 5 minutes away. :D Especially when you spent most of that 5 minutes screaming into a pillow. :LOL:

Most reactions

Back