would ya

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i'm starting to put together a little presentation to a postcard company (gotta start somewhere) and want your thoughts. i will be posting a few pics for the next few days to see what you think. so would ya buy this postcard?

21747445-L.jpg

I would yeah, it bothers me slightly that the central feature runs off to one side slightly but overall I think it would make a good postcard. I'd consider putting some of your more arty shots in as well Jon. I think many of the shots I have seen posted here would appeal to a younger market of postcard purchasers.

i don't like the buildings in the top right... they look cut off. also the light seems harsh (especially towards the top of the picture), maybe try a different time of day. I've seen what you can do, and i know you can do much better :)

For a post card, I think it looks really good.

Go for it! Like you said, you gotta start somewhere.

i felt this was a weak one but wanted to see how you guys felt about it...should have listened to the family.

Jon, you have to remember who your audience is. Sell to them. As a tourist, I'd buy it.

JonMikal, I personally feel that most of your work is consistently better than postcard quality. If I were you, I'd skip postcards and look into setting up a display at local arts festivals.

Every year in Mid August, there is a festival for 2 weeks in Abingdon,VA called the Highlands Festival (you may have heard of it living in DC) where atrists from all over set up a booth to sell and display their work. I think many of the folks here could easily do well at this type of arena. The fees are a little steep IMO ($500 for a small booth for a weekend), but there seems to be a lot of folks that buy at this festival. I'm sure there are similar exhibits elsewhere. For a comparison of others works, check out www.warrennedry.com this photographer typically comes for atleast the weekend and there are others with similar ability that set up a booth.

I think you and others here could do well in this kind of arena, as you consistently produce some amazing exposures.
just my .02

JohnBoy - thanks a lot for the information and kind words! i appreciate it very much!

I would'nt~~~just as a tourist,I would like to see some more happy people appear in the natural view postcard together.
Jon ,if u print your sunset into postcard ,I definately buy it!! hehehe

It's a nice shot; far better than I could do. But, like MotorPsycho, I get hung up with the buildings at the top right. The reflecting pool is a strong leading line that takes me to the monument. But then the buildings are so close to the monument and are of such a light tone that my eyes keep going to them. And for me they don't make sense or don't belong in the shot -- something like that.

Maybe they could be cropped out?

BLS said:
It's a nice shot; far better than I could do. But, like MotorPsycho, I get hung up with the buildings at the top right. The reflecting pool is a strong leading line that takes me to the monument. But then the buildings are so close to the monument and are of such a light tone that my eyes keep going to them. And for me they don't make sense or don't belong in the shot -- something like that.

Maybe they could be cropped out?

thanks again all for your help...it's now in the trash. next time i copter it, i'll get the pilot to climb a bit higher if bush has the time....hehe

Most reactions

Back