Would you buy a D1?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not saying as a primary camera, but more as a secondary one. Like if all you wanna shoot is 4x6 or something. I mean, it is a professional body. I just thought some might like the way a pro camera feels enough to buy one of these (if they're poor, that is).

I'm not gonna get one or anything, but I was just curious. They still sell for about 200-300 bucks, so someone must want them, or else they'd be cheaper than that. I just saw one and I didn't know what everyone's thoughts were.

BTW, do you think it will ever have any nostalgic value?

I wouldn't buy a D1, but then I don't have a need for one. If I had a requirement for a camera for small portrait work (passports, ID cards) or perhaps was going to string for a small-town newspaper, I would definitely look at it.

As for nostalgic value, sure, after all it's the first Nikon pro DSLR, the first of almost anything has nostalgic value. Monetary value as a nostalgic item? Nope.

I bought a D1h
Its fun at first and you think you need it but it was really pointless. I ended up just using my d40x because it just works sooo much better and is so much easier to use and its also alot smaller.

But i was in your situation, and i had the extra money, and thats why i bought it. Its cool having the pro features like a second shutter button, bullet proof construction and the faster frame rate. But i just found it rediculous to use becase the controls had no time to be refined as it was pretty much the original DSLR. So as a first DSLR this is probably the worst one to learn on.

I bought mine for 300 and then got a bag and some batterys (the usually only last 200 shots) and then resold it for 400.

Sure, I bought one not to long ago. And aside from the fact that I would not consider myself poor, there are many D1's that are still being used for the simple fact that they still work. I shoot mostly film and always will, and like the fact that I can still use nearly all the Nikkor lenses that I have with it.

Most reactions

Back