Would you do this?

They got the idea because when I originally sent in one of my photos I lived right down the road, almost neighbors but since then I have committed to move to NY.

Last edited:
I only read page one and jumped to the last.

I would do it in a heartbeat. Some folks have the attitude "it's not worth my time", and it may well not be, depends on your business and your schedule.

I do such things often, no better way to network, especially if you are just starting out. I did it for local bars on halloween, and am doing it this weekend for a local band.

If you are not much into networking, you should be, and you will learn how powerful it cam be. It's not always about what you can make that day, but what you can make in the future. I shot a band for free a month ago and my traffic went up 800% due to sharing of the images with fans and I got 3 booked studio sessions within 2 weeks from people seeing my work.

Now and then it helps to do such things to get out and "meet the people", work the crowds, have fun, pass out cards and enjoy your craft. If it is always about dollars and cents for the moment, it's not much fun.

Just my two cents.

As of January 1, 2012 the IRS business standard mileage rate was set at $0.555 per mile.

Assuming an average speed of 60 mph for 6 hours that would be 360 miles round trip. 360 miles x $0.555 = $199.80 and doesn't cover any incidentals.

The IRS mileage rate is for the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile, and does not account for a business person's time.

Last edited:
I only read page one and jumped to the last.

I would do it in a heartbeat. Some folks have the attitude "it's not worth my time", and it may well not be, depends on your business and your schedule.

I do such things often, no better way to network, especially if you are just starting out. I did it for local bars on halloween, and am doing it this weekend for a local band.

If you are not much into networking, you should be, and you will learn how powerful it cam be. It's not always about what you can make that day, but what you can make in the future. I shot a band for free a month ago and my traffic went up 800% due to sharing of the images with fans and I got 3 booked studio sessions within 2 weeks from people seeing my work.

Now and then it helps to do such things to get out and "meet the people", work the crowds, have fun, pass out cards and enjoy your craft. If it is always about dollars and cents for the moment, it's not much fun.

Just my two cents.

While i understand what your saying, and agree in principle, the person in question doesn't have paying jobs to keep him going, and this 'job' is (whichever way you look at it) going to cost him a fair bit out of his own pocket...

Probly some of what I missed when I skimmed. lol. If it's not local then there is that to consider.

I wrote then back asking them to compensate me for gas mileage... Never got a response, bunch of cheap bastards!

Last edited:
3 hours is a long way to travel to do a job for almost free unless you really REALLY want to do it.
a shame they wont at least cover mileage for you. I thought that was pretty fair.
maybe they will still get back to you on it.

Would *I* do it for just that? No.

Would I have done it for just that 2 years ago? Yeah.

I agree that it depends on where you're at.

Excellent perspective.

I used to do a lot of trade work. These days? Not so much...

The problem is if I say no, they will just go ask Joe Shmo down the road with his new rebel to do it for free.

How is that a problem?

I look at it this way: A client who isn't interested in a fair exchange with me, be it for services or for money, is a client I don't want.

Perhaps you are aware that thanks to the overhunting by the Scots that the Wild Haggis is swiftly becoming an endangered species in the Highlands. There's only about 200 pf these animals left in the wild.

Take a few photos then start throwing back the most expensive scotch they have

Most reactions

New Topics

Back