Would you give up your camera for your safety?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by tecboy, May 16, 2017 at 8:01 PM.

1. tecboy

tecboy No longer a newbie, moving up!

San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was photographing at a public place. There was a man approached and yelled at me. He accused me that I took his pictures. I tried to tell him that I didn't. There were no pictures of him in my camera. Then he threatened me with his profanity,"Give me your camera!!! M**F**!!" He kept repeating himself over and over. He swing his fist at my face a couple of times. He missed as I moved back trying to defend myself and yelled at him, "Hey!" He rode his bicycle and left. I was so scared, and I contacted the police.

2. snowbear

snowbear Big Furball Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Glad you weren't injured.

One more reason to use a sturdy tripod - they make pretty good melee weapons,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tecboy

Photos OK to edit
    I could have hit him with my camera.

4. zombiesniper

zombiesniper The camera takes the Pic. I just point the way. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I don't condone that everyone react as I would since I'd likely be going to jail. I would recommend that you back away while dialing 911 (or applicable number for your region).
    Having said that I carry a multitool with a sharp blade that he would have met with the first fist that came near me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    I had something similar happen not long ago. I simply subdued the jerk and he promptly realized he misjudged me. I never raised my voice, I was polite but firm. I talked to him and smiled, all the while using a balanced stance. I was shooting in between him and a building wall. The guy I shot was smoking a cigarette. Anyway, he got squirrelly, threw a haymaker that I blocked, locked his arm, and down kicked his knee and bringing him to his while begging to let go.

The point I told you all that is you have to be skilled and prepared. If your not skilled in defending yourself, then you need to be super prepared and be able to run fast. Try to blend in, smile a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Geezzz... I've had it easy! :lol: The worst I can claim is having a cup of coffee (X-Large) thrown over me and my camera a couple of years ago while covering a Wounded Warriors event. Some guy in the back of the room seemed to think I was targeting him (In truth I hadn't even noticed him); he ordered an X-Large coffee with a ton of cream and sugar, walked right up to me (I was by the door), threw/poured it on me and kept walking. The staff were horrified... If it had been a different time and place I would have had "words" with him, but on that occasion I simply ignored it (and smelled like vanilla/hazel-nut for the rest of the day).

• Like Like x 1
  7. tecboy

Photos OK to edit
    I have been to a lot of events photographing guests and environment. I always smile and making the guests feel comfortable.

8. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    Well, you never know, all sorts of people out there. Most are good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. snowbear

snowbear Big Furball Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A tripod is more durable and a heavy ball head can inflict a lot of damage.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. zombiesniper

zombiesniper The camera takes the Pic. I just point the way. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Not a statement you hear every day. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I have had that same thing happen twice, once in 1986 or '87, in Eugene, OR, and later in 2007 in Portland, Oregon. One was a homeless person, the second was a street punk known to cause trouble in the east-side Hawthorne district. It's unnerving, for sure. I know of another TPF member who was similarly accosted in Portland, on the west side of the city.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Wow, that's awful. Glad you weren't hurt.

Yes, its true...most people are generally good but man it sure seems that's getting less true everyday. People are so concerned with people taking pictures these days its crazy.

The other day I was taking pictures of planes from a public area and man I felt like I was doing something wrong. Heck beforehand, I even contacted the airport and asked if it was okay if I could take pictures of planes at this airport because it was a big airport and they replied saying they didn't care haha (I ended up coming across a bald eagle! But he didn't get close enough :().

I really hate confrontation so its hard for me to take my camera with me even in public areas because I'm afraid I'll be targeted and get accused of terrorism or some crap like that, just like in a freaking mall one time. I mean damn, I was taking a picture of unique stairway with my phone to share on Facebook and I got security following me around and got kicked out whereas other people were taking pictures and they didn't care.

Why are people so afraid of people taking pictures? I don't want to end up being murdered for taking pictures, although at least I'll die doing what I love!

• Like Like x 1