Would you give up your camera for your safety?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was photographing at a public place. There was a man approached and yelled at me. He accused me that I took his pictures. I tried to tell him that I didn't. There were no pictures of him in my camera. Then he threatened me with his profanity,"Give me your camera!!! M**F**!!" He kept repeating himself over and over. He swing his fist at my face a couple of times. He missed as I moved back trying to defend myself and yelled at him, "Hey!" He rode his bicycle and left. I was so scared, and I contacted the police.

I don't condone that everyone react as I would since I'd likely be going to jail. I would recommend that you back away while dialing 911 (or applicable number for your region).
Having said that I carry a multitool with a sharp blade that he would have met with the first fist that came near me.

I had something similar happen not long ago. I simply subdued the jerk and he promptly realized he misjudged me. I never raised my voice, I was polite but firm. I talked to him and smiled, all the while using a balanced stance. I was shooting in between him and a building wall. The guy I shot was smoking a cigarette. Anyway, he got squirrelly, threw a haymaker that I blocked, locked his arm, and down kicked his knee and bringing him to his while begging to let go.

The point I told you all that is you have to be skilled and prepared. If your not skilled in defending yourself, then you need to be super prepared and be able to run fast. Try to blend in, smile a lot.

Geezzz... I've had it easy! :lol: The worst I can claim is having a cup of coffee (X-Large) thrown over me and my camera a couple of years ago while covering a Wounded Warriors event. Some guy in the back of the room seemed to think I was targeting him (In truth I hadn't even noticed him); he ordered an X-Large coffee with a ton of cream and sugar, walked right up to me (I was by the door), threw/poured it on me and kept walking. The staff were horrified... If it had been a different time and place I would have had "words" with him, but on that occasion I simply ignored it (and smelled like vanilla/hazel-nut for the rest of the day).

I have had that same thing happen twice, once in 1986 or '87, in Eugene, OR, and later in 2007 in Portland, Oregon. One was a homeless person, the second was a street punk known to cause trouble in the east-side Hawthorne district. It's unnerving, for sure. I know of another TPF member who was similarly accosted in Portland, on the west side of the city.

Wow, that's awful. Glad you weren't hurt.

Yes, its true...most people are generally good but man it sure seems that's getting less true everyday. People are so concerned with people taking pictures these days its crazy.

The other day I was taking pictures of planes from a public area and man I felt like I was doing something wrong. Heck beforehand, I even contacted the airport and asked if it was okay if I could take pictures of planes at this airport because it was a big airport and they replied saying they didn't care haha (I ended up coming across a bald eagle! But he didn't get close enough :().

I really hate confrontation so its hard for me to take my camera with me even in public areas because I'm afraid I'll be targeted and get accused of terrorism or some crap like that, just like in a freaking mall one time. I mean damn, I was taking a picture of unique stairway with my phone to share on Facebook and I got security following me around and got kicked out whereas other people were taking pictures and they didn't care.

Why are people so afraid of people taking pictures? I don't want to end up being murdered for taking pictures, although at least I'll die doing what I love!

If giving up a piece of gear will de-escalate a potential harmful situation, then damned straight I'd do so.

Problem is, these nutcases that attack photographers aren't playing with a full deck. Since there's no guarantee compliance with their (illegal) demands that doing so will end the confrontation, I carry more to shoot with than just a camera............ if you get my drift.

Now before anyone says I'm a gun-nut by defending my gear with a firearm, let me set you straight: I am not.

When someone gets aggressive towards me, they are threatening ME. They are not threatening my gear. They don't yell, "Hey, if you don't erase those photos, I'm gonna scratch or lens!!!" or "I'm gonna bend up the legs of that tripod!!!"

If their intent is to harm ME (NOT my gear), then I will do what I can do defend MYSELF (NOT my gear). My GEAR can easily be replaced..... My HEALTH, maybe / maybe not. It is MY PERSON I am defending. At that point, gear is not relevant.

I do not want this thread to degrade into a gun debate. I am simply stating facts.

Situational awareness is the first tool. Second, retreat is the next. Avoid confrontation. However, be prepared to defend yourself if attacked. As others have mentioned, it's you, not your equipment, unless the miscreant is bent on robbery.

Knives/box cutters are not good defensive weapons. A can of pepper spray is a good basic tool. If someone gets inside 21 feet, they've invaded your comfort zone, and they can be on top of you long before you can draw a weapon. Never try wielding a tripod as a defensive weapon; maybe a monopod, but unless you've practiced with this, don't rely on it.

I always carry a concealed pistol under my vest, but I will retreat rather than confront.

Here's an anecdote: A number of years ago (1978), I took a self-defense course at the local police shooting range. One of the scenarios dealt with the students being "armed" with a dummy pistol and holstered. A stranger was 7 yards from us, and we didn't know his intent. He turned, drew a rubber knife as he charged us, and no one got away without serious "wounds". Upshot? Unless your weapon is drawn, and at the ready, you can't keep an assailant away from you.

Situational awareness is the first tool. Second, retreat is the next. Avoid confrontation. However, be prepared to defend yourself if attacked.

I always carry a concealed pistol under my vest, but I will retreat rather than confront.

When stateside I also carry...but what I love about your post is - unlike some folks, you seem to have NO desire to end another's life. Some people seem to almost get turned on by the thought of using their firearm. Nobody should die over camera gear; that said - protect yourself when you need to.

Most reactions

Back