Would you shoot a wedding with a D90?

gl600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine is starting a photography business and he has asked me to come on board as a wedding photographer. Before I accept I want to try out being a second string wedding photographer. Do you think i could pull it off with a D90? and would you shoot a wedding with a D90 as the primary photographer?

At the very least I'll have the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8 (each on their own body).

Last edited:
d90 is MORE then capable for shooting a wedding. Few things you have to keep in mind though besides lenses (which are probably equally important to the body), d90 lacks PC jack. I'll take a leap of faith here and will assume that you'll use strobe lights and hooking them up you can do either through camera body or flash (sb800, sb900). Alternatively, there are hotshoe adapters that allow you to plug in the pc cord in as well as attach the flash unit.
good luck

and would you shoot a wedding with a D90 as the primary photographer?
There's absolutely no way in this world I would use a D90.

But that's just me. Only because I don't own one.

Can the D90 do a good or even great job at the event? Of course, it's an outstanding body. Will you be able to blame your gear should you fail to produce the goods? Nope. :D

Get a Speedlite (and learn how to use it before hand) if you don't already have one.

wow, this reminds me of a rather long thread from not too long ago (something about hiring a pro with a d40).

Anyway, the D90 itself is a fine camera to shoot a wedding with.

As far as actually shooting a wedding though, the key is typically to having plenty of backups (so at least one additional body) and then extra lenses. Ideally if using zooms you would have all 2.8's along with backups enough to cover the wedding if one lens goes down.

Similarly if you will need a flash, it would be best to have at least 2, such that if one goes down you aren't screwed.

wow, this reminds me of a rather long thread from not too long ago (something about hiring a pro with a d40).
Nate,
One of these days, wedding photographer will use cell phones at work :D

dI'll take a leap of faith here and will assume that you'll use strobe lights and hooking them up you can do either through camera body or flash (sb800, sb900). Alternatively, there are hotshoe adapters that allow you to plug in the pc cord in as well as attach the flash unit.
good luck

I anticipate that lighting will be the thing that I have to learn most about. I have watched plenty of photographers at weddings so i think that I have the general idea down, although it is purely theory right now and no practice. Lighting on the other hand I do not understand on, what I would consider, a satisfactory level.
My experience is limited to my Sb-600 on my D60 and the same Speedlight off camera using cactus v4.

No, I would not shoot a wedding with 1, but I would do it with 2.

Backup equipment is going to be very important here, you could have the best camera in the world, but if it breaks down and you do not have a spare you are done....

I shot a wedding with my D90.

Like many have said, it's the glass and then the person behind the camera that makes the most difference. The D90 is plenty of a camera to shoot a wedding. Is it the ideal camera? No.

Most reactions

Back