Would you shoot a wedding with a D90?

wow, this reminds me of a rather long thread from not too long ago (something about hiring a pro with a d40).
Nate,
One of these days, wedding photographer will use cell phones at work :D

An Iphone and a flashlight for a flash works like a charm. I'm sure someone on Craigslist is shooting weddings with one.

On topic I shot an outdoor wedding with a D90 and everything turned out fine.

Man, I shot weddings using Nikon FE-2's and FM's and Bronicas...all manual focus gear, using Vivitar and Sunpak flashes and Speedotron Brown Line studio lights for the formals...camera gear so old that its design and manufacture pre-dates some of the users on this forum. Film rolls were 24-shot for the 35mm, and 12-shot rolls for the Bro 6x6...the theory back then was that shorter rolls were less likely to invite disaster if something happened to a particular roll during the development,proofing,or enlargement phases.

The D90's a modern autofocus d-slr, capable of shooting rapid-fire, autofocused shots on a memory card or two,each of which can hold 500 frames, with no chance of the lab ruining the negatives, or sending the negatives off to a customer in Florida,etc.

The D90 is a capable camera. A pair of D90's and a pair of flashes and two or three decent lenses is plenty. Compared to a 1980's 35mm SLR or 1980's medium format SLR, the D90 is a dream camera.

I think that sums it up pretty well, we're spoiled these days and lose track of it with all the technology updates happening at lightening speed.

I anticipate that lighting will be the thing that I have to learn most about. I have watched plenty of photographers at weddings so i think that I have the general idea down, although it is purely theory right now and no practice. Lighting on the other hand I do not understand on, what I would consider, a satisfactory level.
My experience is limited to my Sb-600 on my D60 and the same Speedlight off camera using cactus v4.
I come from an old school of photography where thinking was/is lighting is the key while camera is just a box with glass on it. As you read from everyone: Glass&photographer followed by body (importance) but all of that will mean nothing if you don't have a light source to illuminate your subjects.
You never know when these things (Northeast Blackout of 2003 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) occur, thus must be ready. By the way, that evening a friend of mine shot a job and successfully completed a wedding. The band continued playing acoustic style.

@Derrel: Thanks for the perspective... you really do make the modern technology sound like a dream.
That's b/c IF you ever used some of the lovely gear he mentioned it is a dream. I told my wife the other day that rather then looking into a new lens or FF body, I'm going to buy f100 or square bronica. I really miss film in my mouth :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back