Would you still buy a film camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Lynxkcg, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Lynxkcg

Lynxkcg TPF Noob!

I've been looking around for a camera to get out of the P&S game and i've been looking at a Canon Elan 7n. I hardly ever hear of anyone shooting film anymore. The body is signifigantly cheaper than the D40/XT/K100d I was looking at, and I can get film processed ( not printed) for free.
    I feel that shooting film will force me to compose my shots better, but what do you guys think? I was planning on an Elan 7n and a 50mm 1.8 to start out.

2. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, I my self bought a standard SLR over a dSLR by choice, Go with what you feel comfortable with.

3. Wow, if you can get film processed for free I say definitely go for it. You'll really like it. I'm not one of the people who think "everything was better in the old days", but the discipline inherent to having only 36 exposures definitely makes you a more deliberate photographer. That will make you better with digital once you go there... and the lenses will work on a digital camera as well.

Have fun.

4. nossie

nossie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hmmm would I? no.
    I just couldn't be arsed with all the hassle for what will ultimately be a print on paper.
    I don't need to be limited by the number of shots on a roll to take better pictures, I need inspiration (and probably to stop being so cynical about everything I do will help too). I don't want the extra cost. I don't want to wait for the photos to be developed. I don't want to scan negatives or build my own darkroom. I don't want to have to go back to a location because I see something in the final that I do or don't like and want more or less of. I don't want to pay for 36 prints before and after exposure to have 1 or 2 keepers. I don't want to clutter my fridge with rolls of film, have you seen the state of my room already?

Naaa, maybe as a source of amusement like playing with cooking not knowing what the outcome will be I'd buy film but when I just want to get on with taking/making pictures nope.

5. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes i still buy film cameras . . . as i can't afford scan backs or medium format digitals.

I own a d200, and have since bought a mamiya . . . they each have their place.

shooting film helps teach you respect for each frame you make, because you pay for it. the time and effort you put into those shots shows after you start respecting it a little. maybe not everyone is like this, but i am more careful shooting film than digital.

also, when i shoot film i develop and print myself, so i end up with what i want instead of what someone gave me.

6. nossie

nossie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm afraid I see it the other way around. I put extra effort into a shot because it's going to pay me. The more money I think I'm going to make or the more success/satisfaction I'm going to get from a shot determines how much fussing over it that I'm prepared to do. Digital or Film it's the end result that counts, I choose digital.

7. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

First off if you want a film camera buy one it all depends on what you like to do. Personally I have several including a 4x5 press camera and several meduim format and countless 35mm I really wanted to get some use out of the press camera but I never do. As soon as I went digital I pretty much left film behind even for weddings. Honestly though I feel the need to correct the old saw about film making better shots because it makes you more deliberate WHAT A CROCK!!!!!. If that is you and how you work fine but personally I think al around digital is the way to go. For someone just learning digital is great exif data is the perfect learning tool for anyone. As far as being deliberate that is crap too you can be just as deliberate with your digital camera and too boot you can check your work and zoom in on any part of your image to make sure it is in focus after you take it and before you leave your location that is what I call deliberate. Really, if you want to get real deliberate you can download your image to a laptop and look at it down to the finest pixel right on site just to make sure everything is perfect and with the right gear you dont even have to take your camera off of the tripod. I am sorry for the rant but the silly notionof film being more deliberate just needs to be put to rest for me 36 shots is a limitaion not freedom.

8. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've been buying several of them. There are some great deals on film cameras as people are dumping them for digital. I just bought a Nikon F6 w/MD-40 motor drive for about 1/2 of the cost of the F6 New.

I also have recently purchased some manual Nikons for dirt cheap. Great cameras that are built like a tank. FM2n, FE2, FA to name a few. Altogether I haven't spent more than about $500 for all of those and 2 came with motor drives.

9. fightheheathens

fightheheathens TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i still shoot film because i cant afford a digital camera. and i love darkroom work.
    i looked at the Elan 7n. (a nice camera) but i ended up going with the Nikon Fm2n, beacuse i like to shoot infrared film and the Elan 7n cant shoot Infrared

10. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unless you've done both it is hard to pass judgement one way or the other and I will not insult anyone's intelligence or personal preferences by saying one is better than the other... they each have a "raison d'etre".

I've done film, developed my own B&W, but not colour. I've done digital a lot too. I really prefer digital. With film, every click of the shutter sounds like $ to me. Needing film, then pay to develop and print.

With film of you want to post something online it has to be scanned, and then the pic depends more on the quality of the scanner than your camera, technique or skill.

Yes a digital costs more initially (it evens out or gets more expensive if you take a LOT of pics with film over time), but I have no waiting. Instant gratification has it's price (lol). Also, technology like digital metering, autofocus and vibration reduction are all welcome enhancements.

My personal preference is digital becuase of the way that I prefer to use the medium after I take the picture.

11. f8lranger4x4

f8lranger4x4 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I already had a film camera for years before moveing into the digital world and I think their are things you can do with a film camera not achivable with a digital. I like to shoot alot of black and white and I don't like the way digital black and whites turn out so I use my film camera. Also film cameras with a couple roles of film make for a good back up camera when technology goes a rye.

12. Nekoism

Nekoism TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, just bought myself a FM2n and I can happily swap lenses between this camera and my digital.