Would you still buy a film camera?

I buy and use film cameras.
because digital makes me yawn....a lot....mind numbingly....dull.
I think my time is better spent working with film than computers.

I'll jack it all in when money decides how much effort I'm prepared to put into a shot.

I'll take up cake decorating or summink..
now is it just me or does all of this make no sense whatsoever??

I shoot film and digital, I like them both...
If someone prefer one than another then nothing is wrong with that, but I don't understand the point why someone should be bashing the other... Especially to someone who never REALLY shoot with both...

I think a digital is a much quicker way to learn and to see swift results. If your coming from a P&S, I can only assume you know pretty much nothing about using a manual camera. The only way your going to be able to take advantage of the SLR is an understanding of the manual settings. If you have to wait even a couple hours to see the results of that tweak in shutter speed and aperature, it doesn't do much to keep you interested in photography. I say go with a cheap dSLR to learn the ropes and then maybe move onto a nice film camera. I know that sounds backwards, but it's probably the fastest way to learn.

now is it just me or does all of this make no sense whatsoever??

It's not just you. :lol: But for anyone else.

Hey folks, shoot what you want. Whatever pops your cork.

Film has some advantages in some situations. It costs more and if you are trying to sell photos, some places won't take film photos because of "grain". (which actually gives film some character) Film has better latitude. For time exposures and some other specialized uses, film beats digital.

However...

If you are shooting to sell, or want to be able to edit and print without a darkroom, and in the long run, digital costs less, digital is for you.

If you want versatility, speed, simplicity, and control in processing, on something as simple as your own computer. Easy storage and images that don't get dusty, scratched, discolored, water damaged, fungus or fade. Then you should move up to digital.

Arguing that film is better that digital is like arguing that your old rusty VW Bug is as good as a new Ferrari.

Want to own some really nice old cameras that take great pictures, at a bargain price, sure, go buy them, have some fun.

Why do you think film cameras are selling at ridiculous low prices. Now think about it. If film was so great, why are professionals dumping their top of the line medium format cameras and going to digital. Why do publications, for the most part, require digital images? Why does Kodak drop more types and sizes of film, each year.

I'd buy some more film cameras, if they came with a nice lens I could use on my digital cameras. I still shoot some of both, but I'm about 98% digital now.

For me digital is the choice right now but I love film for what it is, I shoot most of my stuff digital, but I love grabbing my Argus C3, my Yashica electro 35 GSN, or my subita 120 and go out with my family and take lots of pictures for us, it gives me that intimate feeling and I love the results.
I try to visualized (composition, structure, exposure, etc, etc) every shot before I snap even on my 40D cause I only have 100K actuations on it so I must be careful.

For me it has to be a Nikon F3 with an MD4 drive, the best film camera ever made and takes you through every stage of photography with a robust camera that can cope with any conditions. If you master film it makes you a better digital photographer......

I buy and use film cameras.

because digital makes me yawn....a lot....mind numbingly....dull.
Compose-click-chimp-fix in photoshop, I'm bored with it, its not a coolkidz concept but hey, it takes allsorts.

I think my time is better spent working with film than computers.
Medium Format all manual, light meters, fixed focal length, tripods, chemical processes, calculations, negs, slow deliberate decisions I find more interesting/involving/challenging than keyboards, flashcards & photoshop.

I'll jack it all in when money decides how much effort I'm prepared to put into a shot.
Was in reference to nossies post-
"
I put extra effort into a shot because it's going to pay me. The more money I think I'm going to make or the more success/satisfaction I'm going to get from a shot determines how much fussing over it that I'm prepared to do."

I'll take up cake decorating or summink..
well....its creative....:er:

Why are professionals dumping their equipment? Because if they are working for newspapers or magazines, they don't have a choice. I would be curious to find out how many prefer shooting film over digital for their own work.

Film really sucks.

I mean just look at all the photos before digital was invented. They were terrible. All that weird "grain" and stuff. I mean, just think, if Adams had a digital camera, he wouldn't have had to spend all that time in the darkroom, and Niépce might have actually gotten some contrast in that photo of the street. I mean, really, didn't he know you're supposed to use a polarizer when you shoot through glass?

in b 4 the sense of humor bypass brigade

:lmao:

Lots of us still shoot film, in fact, I just bought a Crown Graphic with lens circa 1942 that crushes the image quality of any digital camera under $5000 (at least any one I've ever heard of). Assuming the camera operator does his job, that I'm still working on

It was $112.50 plus shipping. Film is 30c/sheet, developing takes ~15 minutes in my bathroom, I can do up to 12 at a time.

When I was in hs I bought my photography teachers first camera. It was a pentax. I used it in class instead of the other cameras he had for us to use. I love it. I still on occasion shoot with it and take the film to my old high school and develop them myself.. He loves it when I go back. Gets a real kick out of what his favorite student became.

My little brother uses it now in his class.. i feel proud to pass it on to my brother.

I still say use whatever fits your personal style if you like film so be it but do not try and tell me it is better than digital.

Most reactions

Back