Would you trade 7d for 5d mark II

Brandman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have come across someone that is wanting to trade a 5D mark II for a 7D. I just happen to have a 7D would you do the trade or not. the 5d she says is 6mo old and has around 1500 actuations

this is the craigslist ad that i saw

I have a 6 month old Canon 5D Mark 2. I'm guessing it has less than 1500 clicks taken, and has been used by a professional photographer. We are selling because we have closed our business. It's in perfect condition and has always had a 24-70mm 2.8L lens on it. Has never been dropped, has always been in a LowePro bag when not in use, and still has a warranty through Canon USA.

This is for the camera BODY ONLY. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE LENS.

I will NOT ship this camera. Local only. If you see this ad, the camera is still for sale.

Will consider trading for a Canon 7D.

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I'll going to be getting the Mark III, anyways.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

You might want to be prepared to put up some cash, the 7D is around £1000 new whilst the 5DMII is around £1500 UK side when new, so I'd expect there to be a few 100 difference for the two in the second hand market. It's already a local deal only (since the ad states no posting) so just make sure you meet up somewhere open and public to check things out.

Personally I would not make the swap. The 5DMII is a fantastic camera body, great in low light, good video, good overall quality, but its AF is nothing like as good as the 7Ds and the wider angle of view is not something that directly benefits my primary interest areas. Wildlife and such similar subjects requires the good AF and is helped by the narrower angles of view. Furthermore I've a range of crop sensor only lenses that would have to be replaced (either sold and replaced or replaced without sale 0 since I still have a 400D).

I know that's a rather personal answer, but read the reasons why - consider if the wider angle of view is something you want; consider if you need cutting edge AF or if you really don't make much use of it at all in the 7D; consider the additional hidden costs in the change such as requiring new lenses for some focal lengths.

In the end you'll have to decide for yourself which of the two cameras features best match up to your needs. It's not unlikely that you might find you've excuses for both cameras in your setup and at that point you'll have to decide which interest areas are of most importance to you as well as which will be least affected by the change.

Most reactions

Back