Would you?....

Artemis

Just Punked Himself
Reaction score
Website
www.falcon-eye.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Would you hire a 16 year old to do your wedding shots?

What if you saw his portfolio and they looked professional?
What if he was recommended by a friend?

Just wanna see your point of view on this :)

Definitely not as the primary photographer. No offense to you or any other 16 year olds. A wedding is just too important. I'd rather have someone with 16 years of experience.

On the other hand, I would like to have a 16 year old as a supplementary shooter. Getting candids and other shots that the pro would not get.

ditto with what Big Mike said.... i'm only 19 so i won't be married soon or anything, but I still think it would be too important to have anyone less than a professional do it.

I was wondering something similar. I'm not 16, I'm 24, but I'm still very new at this. My friend, who is getting married 2 years from now is having a "budget" wedding, and can't afford a professional photographer. She's seen some of my work and likes what I've done so far, and wants me to do her wedding.

I'm very wary about saying yes and have been avoiding the question for the last 2 weeks. What do I say? What if I do agree and she's unhappy with the photo's I take?? Argh!

Well, I am only 24 and I started shooting supplemental shots when I was about 21 or so. I would have a hard time hiring a non-professional as the main photographer just because of the lack of experience. However, if you have someone show interest offer to shoot the reception if the pro isn't staying for that, or take additional photos. At my wedding we had several friends take photos as my ex and I worked at a photography store. Looking back on the album the non "pro" photos were some of the best. Mad_mateaser, if your friend knows that there isn't any guarantees and is willing to have to give it a shot I say go for it. You've got 2 years to plan and get some practice and I am sure everyone that has shot a wedding here is more than happy to offer up advice.

AlisonS said:
You've got 2 years to plan and get some practice and I am sure everyone that has shot a wedding here is more than happy to offer up advice.

That's very true. I guess I can learn a lot in 2 years!

mad_malteaser said:
My friend, who is getting married 2 years from now
If that sort of photography interests you, 2 years is PLENTY of time for practice, to gain confidence. :)

Artemis said:
Would you hire a 16 year old to do your wedding shots?
What if you saw his portfolio and they looked professional?
Yes, if I like what is there in the portfolio. And thats a big IF. :)

Of course...and btw dont worry, you wont affend me by saying no...I wouldnt if it was my wedding, just curious on peoples thoughts.

Alright...another question...your a wedding photographer...would you take on a keen 16 year old to help you out....and in return teach im the ways? :p

Hey, sorry I missed this question......

I might take on an assistant that was 16, depends on their portfolio and willingness to work. They would have to be willing to give up weekends which for some teenagers can be an issue :)

A 16 year old can be very reliable and responsible, not to mention talented. I would only be able to answer the question upon knowing the particular 16 year old of which you speak.

Do not discount that many 15 and 16 year olds have mastered musical instruments, painting, voice and other arts. Photography is no different.

Assuming the talent, responsibility and accountability were present, I'd give the kid a chance.

Most reactions

Back