Wouln't Now Be a Great Time to Buy in the U.S?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Buszaj, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    With the Canadian dollar and the U.S. dollar neck-and-neck, would it be a good time to buy lenses from U.S. sites like Adorama and B&H? (That is if you live in Canada).

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Sure rub it in about our moron pr.............

ooh too political it's just that is the first time in what? 30 years so much for fiscal responsibility.

3. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey...I'm not trying to rub anything in. I was just wondering, would it be a better time to buy. I'm not saying that I have anything against you guys.

4. Yes, unequivically... if you have the money, now is the time to buy gear in the US. The foreign (non-US) manufacturers will not be able to hold their price-points for long, and will have to increase their prices or their profit margins will disappear.

Buy now. Buy everything you want, the dollar will not stay this way forever.

...and the oldest market adage is: don't try to time the market. You'll miss your window. Either the manufacturers will raise their prices, or the dollar will go back up in value.

I'm on a shopping spree these days.

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Leica stuff here in the US is going up already....

6. JHF Photography

JHF Photography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As a fellow Canadian, I whole-heartedly agree that this is a great time for some cross border shopping. However, when shopping online you need to keep in mind that your purchases will probably be slapped with duty and applicable federal and provincial taxes upon crossing the border, which you will have to pay when it reaches your house.

A better alternative (if at all possible for you) would be to go down to the states yourself and pick some gear up there in person.

Unless anybody has any ideas for getting around the duty.....

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, it's a great time to buy from the US. The prices are much lower and the Dollar is in good shape. I have spent a few thousand already this year...when our dollar was around $0.90.

Who's to say it's not going to continue...the Loonie may be looking down on the Greenback in no time. But I agree...trying to time the market is asking for trouble.
    There is no duty on photographic equipment but you may have to pay brokerage. Use USPS, rather than UPS or FedEX, when you can.

8. JHF Photography

JHF Photography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had no idea..... how much are brokerage fees usually? Is it a big chunk? Where do you buy from? And here's a real dumb question..... USPS.... is that the United States Postal Service?

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The problem with brokerage fees...is that they are inconsistent. USPS (yes, United States Postal Service) has low brokerage fees...sometimes none. FedEx and UPS, on the other hand...sometimes have crazy fees...but usually only on ground shipments. Air shipments, while obviously more expensive...usually include the brokerage charges.

The problem with USPS, is that it requires the sender to actually take the package in...so a lot of companies don't ship that way...or they charge extra for it anyway.

I have been ordering from B&H (make sure to use the link on the top of this page)...and I think the shipping I have been using is 'Expedited'. Your mileage may vary, so check out the different options and may call the shipper to give you a quote/estimate for any brokerage fees.

I haven't seen that Canadian stores have dropped their prices yet...so you are still saving 10%-40% by buying from the US anyway.

10. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Invest/save in Gold and quit worrying about the fluctuating wood. ;)

11. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    To be more acurate Danalec, commodities.

Its not as easy as you think.... Gold also fluctuates. Certain countries can flood the market if they choose to do so. But hey... you are right.. at least it isn't tied to the falling dollar. Just wait until the dollar starts to loose favor as an international traded currency (ex: oil). Things will get really scarry.

SOrry... off of soap box I go. To bring photography into it... My Leica stuff is holding better than the US dollar at the moment.

12. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here are some stats on Gold and Silver.

I'm not saying gold is the ultimate investment vehicle. It is not. The ROI is not stellar. But it is a far better option than a Savings Account.