Wouln't Now Be a Great Time to Buy in the U.S?

Buszaj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With the Canadian dollar and the U.S. dollar neck-and-neck, would it be a good time to buy lenses from U.S. sites like Adorama and B&H? (That is if you live in Canada).

Sure rub it in about our moron pr.............

ooh too political it's just that is the first time in what? 30 years so much for fiscal responsibility.

Hey...I'm not trying to rub anything in. I was just wondering, would it be a better time to buy. I'm not saying that I have anything against you guys.

Yes, unequivically... if you have the money, now is the time to buy gear in the US. The foreign (non-US) manufacturers will not be able to hold their price-points for long, and will have to increase their prices or their profit margins will disappear.

Buy now. Buy everything you want, the dollar will not stay this way forever.

...and the oldest market adage is: don't try to time the market. You'll miss your window. Either the manufacturers will raise their prices, or the dollar will go back up in value.

I'm on a shopping spree these days.

With the Canadian dollar and the U.S. dollar neck-and-neck, would it be a good time to buy lenses from U.S. sites like Adorama and B&H? (That is if you live in Canada).

As a fellow Canadian, I whole-heartedly agree that this is a great time for some cross border shopping. However, when shopping online you need to keep in mind that your purchases will probably be slapped with duty and applicable federal and provincial taxes upon crossing the border, which you will have to pay when it reaches your house.

A better alternative (if at all possible for you) would be to go down to the states yourself and pick some gear up there in person.

Unless anybody has any ideas for getting around the duty.....

Yes, it's a great time to buy from the US. The prices are much lower and the Dollar is in good shape. I have spent a few thousand already this year...when our dollar was around $0.90.

Buy now. Buy everything you want, the dollar will not stay this way forever.
Who's to say it's not going to continue...the Loonie may be looking down on the Greenback in no time. But I agree...trying to time the market is asking for trouble.
However, when shopping online you need to keep in mind that your purchases will probably be slapped with duty and applicable federal and provincial taxes upon crossing the border, which you will have to pay when it reaches your house.
There is no duty on photographic equipment but you may have to pay brokerage. Use USPS, rather than UPS or FedEX, when you can.

There is no duty on photographic equipment but you may have to pay brokerage. Use USPS, rather than UPS or FedEX, when you can.

I had no idea..... how much are brokerage fees usually? Is it a big chunk? Where do you buy from? And here's a real dumb question..... USPS.... is that the United States Postal Service?

The problem with brokerage fees...is that they are inconsistent. USPS (yes, United States Postal Service) has low brokerage fees...sometimes none. FedEx and UPS, on the other hand...sometimes have crazy fees...but usually only on ground shipments. Air shipments, while obviously more expensive...usually include the brokerage charges.

The problem with USPS, is that it requires the sender to actually take the package in...so a lot of companies don't ship that way...or they charge extra for it anyway.

I have been ordering from B&H (make sure to use the link on the top of this page)...and I think the shipping I have been using is 'Expedited'. Your mileage may vary, so check out the different options and may call the shipper to give you a quote/estimate for any brokerage fees.

I haven't seen that Canadian stores have dropped their prices yet...so you are still saving 10%-40% by buying from the US anyway.

Invest/save in Gold and quit worrying about the fluctuating wood. ;)

To be more acurate Danalec, commodities.

Its not as easy as you think.... Gold also fluctuates. Certain countries can flood the market if they choose to do so. But hey... you are right.. at least it isn't tied to the falling dollar. Just wait until the dollar starts to loose favor as an international traded currency (ex: oil). Things will get really scarry.

SOrry... off of soap box I go. To bring photography into it... My Leica stuff is holding better than the US dollar at the moment.

Here are some stats on Gold and Silver.

I'm not saying gold is the ultimate investment vehicle. It is not. The ROI is not stellar. But it is a far better option than a Savings Account.

Gold is traditional hedge against a weak dollar. If the dollar weakens, gold goes up. Happened again this time. But you need to have dollar exposure to hedge, and if you're an American you don't have "exposure" because you're not subject to fluctuation. You're dollar is still worth one dollar.

I have been ordering from B&H (make sure to use the link on the top of this page)....

Hey Big Mike, can you explain ^that^ a little more.

I do orders by phone because I will undoubtedly have a question or need advice with my order. The folks have always been extremely helpful. They have suggested alternatives to what some of my questionable items were and have even told me not to bother with certain items. Rare to get that level of customer service these days.

If you get to B&H by using hte link on this forum, the forum gets a little "taste" of the action. Nothing massive, but just enough to cover Chase's bills.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back