wow - Extreme Pro SD versus Ultra 10 SD card

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got in the mail today a 16gb (refurb) Extreme Pro SD card ($30) which has a rate of 90mb/s write and 95 mbs read
compared to what I have been using the
Ultra class 10 which is 30 mbs read but it doesn't specific the write speed.

But I put my d7000 camera on RAW and the performance was pretty good. Able to take about 14 shots before it had to wait to take more shots.

but I put it on JPEG Fine Large, which is what I was using it for my kids soccer this past season. I was blown away.

The buffer started getting filled from 14 down to 11. Then it stuck on 11 and I took 95 continuous shots before I stopped as it wasn't moving from the 11 available free buffer.

With the Ultra I was no where near this amount. It would start at 9 and quickly exhaust the buffer, then you had to wait.

So when I did the kids sports I would do short bursts and try to time everything. I learned alot doing that, but a few time I had to pause for the buffer and missed some more timely shots. Now, I don't have to worry about that.

An awesome upgrade to anyone that bursts a bunch of shots.

and on another note. One reason I didn't buy a d700 a couple months ago was it's use of CF cards instead of SD cards (plus 12mb instead of 16, and lack of video).
But looking at the sandisk.com website the CF cards can shoot up to 150mbs and up to 256GB cards.
That is totally awesome. Now if the d4's price would come down to about $1,500 I could certainly live with a 16mb sensor. :)

on another note, has anyone tried their SD Wifi cards?
Albeit MUCH slower it is an interesting option to get files from the camera with the Nikon Wifi.

on another note, has anyone tried their SD Wifi cards?
Albeit MUCH slower it is an interesting option to get files from the camera with the Nikon Wifi.

I use the 64 GB Extreme pro in my D5100 - it's an expensive card, but it was worth every penny. The performance is amazing, and with a little bit of practice I've found if I fire a burst, then let up for a brief second or less, then fire another - well once you get the timing down even shooting RAW you can keep a pretty impressive pace with the camera without overwhelming it. I haven't tried the WiFi card, I have been thinking about getting a WiFi adapter so when I do get home I can pull it out of the bag and connect it, then disconnect once the files are transferred to the PC. After using the 95 mbs card, well no way I can justify going back to the slower SD just for wifi.

I think on my Ultra card I was getting about 3-4 RAW before a pause.
So the Extreme is awesome even on RAW, better than what I was shooting in JPEG Fine Large with the Ultra.

But it sounds awesome just clicking away 100 shots with no pause. Think my camera shot count went up tonight just fiddling around.

I think on my Ultra card I was getting about 3-4 RAW before a pause.
So the Extreme is awesome even on RAW, better than what I was shooting in JPEG Fine Large with the Ultra.

But it sounds awesome just clicking away 100 shots with no pause. Think my camera shot count went up tonight just fiddling around.

Well the 64 gb is a recent acquisition for me, I just got it this week in fact. I started with a 16 gb but since I upgraded to the DSLR I've been shooting mostly raw and I really wanted the extra space so I could be out most of the day without worrying too much about having to clean off the card. I'll most likely get another one to have in the bag, they are a bit pricey but man you just can't beat the performance. I got shots today I would never have gotten with the old 30 mbs card I was using.

I used an 8 gig eye-fi card to load photos from my D300s directly to my tablet for every shot I took on a recent safari in Kenya. Over 1500 shots altogether without a hiccup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back