Wow, I have to get a camera like that...

I have an 8 inch Concentric brass lens made by Ross of London (c. 1890 possibly). There are five f-stops on a rotating disc. It's a beaut and enhances any top hat.

...but the girlfriend needs some self-esteem. One can choose to quit if they see something better or choose to improve. It's the coward that quits and blames others or equipment. I'd tell her if it was just the equipment, shoot with MY camera and see if your photos are better...

Yeah my girlfriend has shot pictures for years and I got into photography about 5 months ago. She uses an SLR-like P&S but everytime I make a great shot she blames my nice camera for making her feel like a bad photography. Iwant to say "Honey, you shoot in auto mode, that is your fault." But then I'd be in the dog house. She blames my getting an SLR the demise for her love of photography. "Every time I take a photo you have a photo that your camera makes so much better! I hate photography now, you just pick up that $800 toy and act like you're talented." It hurt to hear that, but I don't talk about photography to her anymore. Wouldn't you say that's just bad sportsmanship? Worst part is, she refuses to let me teach her how to use the manual settings on her camera. She's like "I don't care, I won't get your results anyway."

P.S. this also makes me feel less talented. Do you guys think I should say anyhting to her or just keep her and photography separate (she sparked my love of photography!)

I've got this little book from a guy that traveled around the world and he took pictures with his cellphone with built-in camera. Man, he took some pictures with it that I (yes I was one of them) thought could only be done with an slr.
But it's pretty normal for people to think that way I guess. No need to get upset.

pascal

my mum and i were taking shots of my new niece (her granddaughter) and she complained (in a nice way) that my shots were always better than hers. I was using a Canon 5D and a 24-70mm f2.8 L lens. She uses a 7mp compact (Nikon Coolpix 7600 i believe).
I took her camera off her after her comment so i could use it and prove it wasn't the camera. first thing i did was switch off the flash and change my position.
I took the shot and showed her it. My sis asked if it was better than hers. She said it was.

My mum knows it's me and not the camera but a lot of people don't.

I like the pots and pans analogy. i'm sure there are loads of others i could use to suit the situation and person!!

after reading all the replies here, i really dont have anything to add that hasnt already been said.

they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, and this picture, IMO, sums up what everyone here has already said.

9a038afc.gif

...but the girlfriend needs some self-esteem. One can choose to quit if they see something better or choose to improve. It's the coward that quits and blames others or equipment. I'd tell her if it was just the equipment, shoot with MY camera and see if your photos are better...

Have fun sleeping on the couch:lol:

You don't want to make it a competition with a loved one. Compliment her pictures and find fault in your own to level the playing field. What you're suggesting is to basically say "my camera doesn't take better pictures than yours, I take better picturse than YOU" which is sure to not go over well.

Oh and about the picture above, it was posted on post 9 in this thread.

Have fun sleeping on the couch:lol:

Oh and about the picture above, it was posted on post 9 in this thread.

when i looked through the thread, i didnt see an image in post #9, or any other post. all i saw was a red X.

i see it now though......

Yeah my girlfriend has shot pictures for years and I got into photography about 5 months ago. She uses an SLR-like P&S but everytime I make a great shot she blames my nice camera for making her feel like a bad photography. Iwant to say "Honey, you shoot in auto mode, that is your fault." But then I'd be in the dog house. She blames my getting an SLR the demise for her love of photography. "Every time I take a photo you have a photo that your camera makes so much better! I hate photography now, you just pick up that $800 toy and act like you're talented." It hurt to hear that, but I don't talk about photography to her anymore. Wouldn't you say that's just bad sportsmanship? Worst part is, she refuses to let me teach her how to use the manual settings on her camera. She's like "I don't care, I won't get your results anyway."

P.S. this also makes me feel less talented. Do you guys think I should say anyhting to her or just keep her and photography separate (she sparked my love of photography!)

Dude, I'm sorta guessing ... but this may be what's-up ... your g/f loves photography. Kinda a passion thing ... her thing. You jumped into her thing .. and now it's competitive. You took one of her pleasures away and made it a competition ... and you're winning ... you always win. She feels stepped on and in a corner .. so outwardly she blames the camera not you ... but inwardly she's ****ed that you took her photography, her passion away and made it a foot race.

That's all I can say as I don't know you two ... it could just be a passing cloud or it could eat away at your g/f ... like rust ... a small spot spreads and spreads weakening the strength of the relationship.

Gary

PS- This is all about maturity not photography.
G

I hear it over and over when I show people my shots... "Wow, that's so cool, I have to get a camera like that..." or "I have to get a lens like that..."

I don't have a problem with that, I just tell them to go to my place of work and I'll sell them one

When someone says that, invite yourself over to their house for super. After supper say to them: 'That supper was delicious, you must have very nice pots & pans'.

Haha! Excellent :) :lmao:

Do you guys think I should say anyhting to her or just keep her and photography separate (she sparked my love of photography!)

A common interest? I say share it as much as possible! If it were me... I'd say something, possibly starting with "Honey, you sparked my love of photography!" Make it all about what *she* can do, not how she can do it like you. If your SLR has an auto mode, let her try a few snaps, let her critique them, then suggest she try "this" to get the effect she's after. Of course, it'll mean stepping into the manual mode... but if she does it at her own pace, and asks you lots of questions, eventually she'll get that shot that blows her away, maybe she'll even think it's "better" than your efforts.

Congratulations, you've created a monster!

Sorry if I'm a bit late in the discussion... but I'd like to add $.02

I understand what most of you are saying: The image is responsibility of the person making it, and even with a crappy camera it is possible to make a good image.

Buuut... a lot of suggestions that are given to improve an image have to do with the camera or equipment surrounding it:
Change the DOF (I have a P&S, so I'd have to buy a new camera)
Step up / down (well, that's the limit of my lense, I'd have to buy a new one)
Use an auxiliary flash to light the subject from a side (I'd have to buy one)
The best I've personally got: You'll never make that shot without a macro lens. (Well, I said I'm using a P&S...)

So yes, it seems that some times a better camera or gear are necessary to produce a better image

Most reactions

New Topics

Back